Judged my first KCBS event

Hi, congratulations, hope you had a good time. Do you mind telling us a little bit more about it. I bet it was a lot of fun. What did you get to eat?

Congrats. Hopefully, you don’t fall into the same category of so many other KCBS judges over time. Too many have become fixated and stuck on the 4 meats, money muscle, burnt ends, painted ribs, thighs only, etc mentality that the whole organization comes off as elitist to many average joe’s. The whole chicken pillows fixation blows my mind and yet it somehow evolved into a cupcake chicken controversy along the way?! I can’t wait to see how they finally shoot themselves in the foot with their behind the scenes efforts to ban pellet grills in competition. Judge to their published rules (and not some silly unwritten ones) by your own standards (and not the long term judge sitting next to you spouting “advice”) and you’ll be better than most. And before someone asks…no, I do not and have never competed in BBQ cooking at any level or in any capacity nor do I personally know anyone who has competed under these rules so there’s no axe to grind. I just can’t grasp the minutiae that the whole KCBS seems to have devoted into.

I've been tempted to do that, one of these days. I bet it is an experience. I think I'd prefer judging a backyard event, rather than a real comp. Cuz I wanna see what other people's barbecue taste like.

Congratulations K Walsh !!!
So the journey starts... and it is an enjoyable journey for most !!!
Many great things happening at KCBS.

Bob
KCBS MCBJ, TCT, S-CBJ

Hi, congratulations, hope you had a good time. Do you mind telling us a little bit more about it. I bet it was a lot of fun. What did you get to eat?
It was a great event. It was large. There were 11 teams. It's not by any means stressful.

We were judging chicken, ribs, pork shoulder and brisket.

This was the first sanctioned KCBS event in Atlantic Canada.

Back