Johnny Trigg Ribs

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
I was watching the Kingsford Invitational on tv last night and Johnny Trigg was among the competitors. He talked about the preparation of his ribs. He used peanut oil instead of mustard and has two styles of rub, spicy and sweet.

Anyone ever try the peanut oil thing? What about his rubs, does he sell them? Any good?

Interesting. I haven't put anything on my ribs before rubbing in a long time, but I might have to give the peanut oil a try. So did he win?

Watched this the other night and when Johnny trigg first came on my two little boys 5 and 7 announced that "Johnny trigger " has the best ribs to their grandma.

The lady from yazoos won every category but one, she even won the one bite challenge with a bacon wrapped shrimp...

I've used both peanut oil and mustard, as well as others, and could not tell a difference in the final product..........................d

A lot of people use mustard, Aaron franklin uses olive oil, johnny trigg uses peanut oil, none of them REALLY matter, they are all just used to get the rub to stick to the meat.

I wouldn't be surprised if johnny was using peanut oil cause his local grocery store had a 2 for 1 special that week. ;)

The flavor in johnnys ribs comes from the rub, tiger sauce, clover honey, brown sugar, and a little parkay.

One other thing....I remember in season 1 of BBQPM, Johnny says that he doesn't waste his time making rubs, that he just buys commercial rubs because "people already spent a lot of time perfecting them".

And now it is 2013, and you can buy a set of OFFICIAL Johnny Trigg Rubs and sauces! Made me LOL first time I saw it and thought back to what he said in season 1...

just some food for thought. ;)

A lot of people use mustard, Aaron franklin uses olive oil, johnny trigg uses peanut oil, none of them REALLY matter, they are all just used to get the rub to stick to the meat.

I wouldn't be surprised if johnny was using peanut oil cause his local grocery store had a 2 for 1 special that week...

Thanks, Max. My rubs stick just fine without any mustard or anything since I rub them right after trimming and skinning. I'm pretty fast at it and the ribs are still cold, but they've lost their chill so that they're no longer so dry at the surface.

Well, I tried a version of "Johnny Trigg" ribs this weekend,

I had two slabs of spares that I wanted to try with recipes from two of the big name pros from down here in Texas...Aaron Franklin and Johnny Trigg.

I did the same rub on both of them, and it was Frankilins Recipe. 2 to 1 base of course black pepper and salt for the building blocks of the rub, then a couple dashes of granulated garlic powder, granulated onion powder and cayenne. Then paprika for color.

I covered both slabs in peanut oil, rubbed them with the dry rub, then put them on the pit at about 275. Was cooking on Kingsford Blue and Apple chunks. I cooked unwrapped for about 2.5 hours, then wrapped both of them for about an hour and a half.

I just wrapped the Franklin style, spritzed them with apple juice, and put on some sauce at the end to finish them. The Johnny Trigg ribs, I went with a generous squeeze of parkay, light brown sugar, a couple strips of clover honey and a thick strip of Tiger Sauce. I spritzed them with Apple juice throughout as well. Did that on both sides of the trigg ribs and wrapped them up tight. They stayed wrapped up for 1.5 hours, then I took them out to finish for maybe .5-1 hours. I did the tooth pick test and they were very tender. I let them rest for a bit then sliced and served to some guests I had over.

My gf and the two guests all preferred the Trigg "style" ribs. I taste tested them as well and I did also. The Franklin "style" weren't bad, but the Trigg style were just better and had more depth of flavor. That Tiger Sauce is good stuff.

I didn't follow Aaron or Johnny's rib recipes/cooks exactly...but these were close enough to really taste the different flavors they were going for. I messed up and didn't get any pictures, but next time!

Last edited:

I had two slabs of spares that I wanted to try with recipes from two of the big name pros from down here in Texas...Aaron Franklin and Johnny Trigg.

I did the same rub on both of them, and it was Frankilins Recipe. 2 to 1 base of course black pepper and salt for the building blocks of the rub, then a couple dashes of granulated garlic powder, granulated onion powder and cayenne. Then paprika for color.

I covered both slabs in peanut oil, rubbed them with the dry rub, then put them on the pit at about 275. Was cooking on Kingsford Blue and Apple chunks. I cooked unwrapped for about 2.5 hours, then wrapped both of them for about an hour and a half.

I just wrapped the Franklin style, spritzed them with apple juice, and put on some sauce at the end to finish them. The Johnny Trigg ribs, I went with a generous squeeze of parkay, light brown sugar, a couple strips of clover honey and a thick strip of Tiger Sauce. I spritzed them with Apple juice throughout as well. Did that on both sides of the trigg ribs and wrapped them up tight. They stayed wrapped up for 1.5 hours, then I took them out to finish for maybe .5-1 hours. I did the tooth pick test and they were very tender. I let them rest for a bit then sliced and served to some guests I had over.

My gf and the two guests all preferred the Trigg "style" ribs. I taste tested them as well and I did also. The Franklin "style" weren't bad, but the Trigg style were just better and had more depth of flavor. That Tiger Sauce is good stuff.

I didn't follow Aaron or Johnny's rib recipes/cooks exactly...but these were close enough to really taste the different flavors they were going for. I messed up and didn't get any pictures, but next time!

I tried J. Trigg style on 1 rack of spares 2 weekends ago. I was worried they would be overly sweet so went light on the honey and brown sugar. In fact I went light with the parkay and Tiger sauce too. Thought it turned out pretty darn good - good enough for me to to do it again with more of each ingredient this time. For the rub I used Dizzy Pig orginal which seemed to work just fine.

Thanks for posting about your cook, Max!

I wouldn't be surprised if johnny was using peanut oil cause his local grocery store had a 2 for 1 special that week. ;)

The flavor in johnnys ribs comes from the rub, tiger sauce, clover honey, brown sugar, and a little parkay.

Great reply Max, and a little parkay when foiling ribs makes a big difference.

I saw J. Trigg on the show the other night. This guy has been cooking BBQ for decades so you'd think he knows everything there is to know. But he didn't recognize or know what "pork belly" was when that was one of the meats he was given to cook! I was dumbfounded! How can HE of all people NOT know what pork belly is? ***? :confused:

When he finally figured it out he says "oh, it's the bacon!" Huh? No $hit Sherlock.... :cool:

a little food for thought. I was testing some tweaks to my process this winter and experimented with oil rubbing and I kept noticing the near complete lack of smoke ring on the ribs. Im guessing it doesnt matter to most people that foil and dont get a ring anyways

I saw J. Trigg on the show the other night. This guy has been cooking BBQ for decades so you'd think he knows everything there is to know. But he didn't recognize or know what "pork belly" was when that was one of the meats he was given to cook! I was dumbfounded! How can HE of all people NOT know what pork belly is? ***? :confused:

When he finally figured it out he says "oh, it's the bacon!" Huh? No $hit Sherlock.... :cool:

I think that was for show

Where could one find the exact or 'alleged' exact Johnny Trigg rib recipe? I know the foil wrap part with Parkay, Honey, Brown Sugar and Tiger sauce. I also read somewhere that he uses Rib Tickler brand rub as the base for his rub? Spritz with apple juice. Is his technique a modified 3-2-1 cook?

Max - Looks like your version of the recipe is a good start. :cool:

Where could one find the exact or 'alleged' exact Johnny Trigg rib recipe? I know the foil wrap part with Parkay, Honey, Brown Sugar and Tiger sauce. I also read somewhere that he uses Rib Tickler brand rub as the base for his rub? Spritz with apple juice. Is his technique a modified 3-2-1 cook?

Max - Looks like your version of the recipe is a good start. :cool:

Yeah, you can get started doing what I did, but I will readily admit it is just what I've pieced together from online forums and watching the Pitmasters show.

This thread is also a good place to get some more details: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/124330/johnny-trigg-and-myron-mixon-recipes-updated

Back