John Henry's Apple Chipotle Rub - Thumbs down

W. Holder III

TVWBB Member
jh_apple_chipotle_12.jpg

Unless you want your meat to taste and smell like artificial apple candy, don't use this stuff. Bought a bottle of the stuff just to give it a try and it was a horrible mistake. I apologized to that slab of St. Louis cut ribs that it ruined. I literally ate 2 bites of one rib and my girlfriend ate 1 bite. The artificial candy like apple flavor of that rub is just awful.

W. Holder III,
You might want to look into making your own rubs. That's what I do. You save a good bit of change (seldom a bad thing) and can incorporate what YOU and your guests will like. There are any number of excellent suggestions along those lines on this web site as well as elsewhere. I got my rib rub from "Best Ribs in the Universe" on this site. Cook's Country has some really good suggestions, also. Their recreation of Memphis Dry Ribs is a dandy. Harry Soo (on this site) is a World Champion BBQ man that has a number of VERY good rubs and techniques.

After a short time, you will be able to judge a rub by it's ingredients and will seldom have to sacrifice a piece of meat just to see.

Give it a shot and tell us what you think about YOUR next rub and cook...

FWIW
Dale53

That's exactly what I plan to do. I joined Costco this past weekend and plan to get some bulk spices. I prefer Memphis style rubs with paprika and some heat and a little sugar.

Big thumbs down here too. Used it once and the flavor was terrible. Threw it in the trash and swore it off forever. Ribs were cooked perfectly too so it was a darn shame.

Kinda makes you wonder how they stay in business with no repeat customers. Based on the name, and the OP's post, I can almost taste how bad it is. :D

If you are still wanting a commercial rub with some apple flavor, try one that is made by "Simply Marvelous BBQ". Stephan Franklin has some incredible rubs. You can find them under rubs on Big Poppa Smokers website. https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/rubs-by-brands

Bob
I 2nd this! Been using SM rubs for awhile now and I love them. My favorites are his Cherry, Sweet Seduction & Spicy Apple rubs. Pecan is also pretty good. Give the sample pack a try. You wont be disappointed.

Back