Jerky by the book and Egg Bites by the IP

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
It's been a long time since I've made jerky by the book.
Found some short dated, thin sliced, sirloins for a small batch, about 1.5 lbs. total.

1603028934617.png

Frozen, then sliced thin so it would get done on the WSM without dragging my dehydrator up from the basement.
Marinated exactly as the recipe was written for about 2 hours.

1603029053512.png

One row snake with pecan wood. Thanks Jim Lampe for the wood!

1603029194262.png

It took about 7 hours start to finish. A couple of done early samples told me it was getting too smoky, so I removed the last two wood pieces.

1603029370598.png

1603029434374.png

Pretty good stuff, but a bit too smoky and salty. With so much sodium in the soy sauce the additional 2 tps. of salt could be eliminated.

About the egg bites. I've never stepped foot inside a Starbucks, but saw mention of how to make their egg bites in an Instant Pot. A search shows that about every food blogger has posted their recipe and method.
I ad libbed and wire whipped 3 jumbo eggs and a TBS of sour cream in a large glass measuring cup. Three cups had some cooked crumbled sausage in the bottom, three of them had only cheddar cheese added.

1603030098110.png

As soon as I lowered them into the IP I realized I had forgotten the first step from all of the recipes, I didn't oil the cups!
After 8 minutes at low pressure, and 10 minutes natural release they were done, and came out of the cups pretty well with some damage.

1603030303015.png

Darn tasty! I'm thinking next time I'll add cooked bacon, spinach, and Feta.
Also want to try pancake bites, meatloaf bites, and cheesecake bites.
Two silicone trays, plus lids, and a trivet with handle came from Amazon on Prime Day. Normally $20, for $14.

Last edited:
I always enjoy looking at your jerky posts Bob. I like your set up with the toothpicks. I started to ask you if you ran out of them and then realized the ones not hanging were your samples. Very nice. I've never noticed the bologna recipe. Might look into that. Most of all I enjoyed your nostalgic memories. Thank you for sharing.

Bob, I've been making jerky "by the book" for about a year now and love the flavor. Because of my salt restrictions I eliminated the salt and use low sodium soy sauce. Still has a salty taste because of the soy but the first time I made the recipe using the the two tsp. of salt, Barb could handle it but I couldn't just to salty for me.
Use the Camp Chef because it will run at 160 and has a low smoke option.

Love the egg bites, wish I had known about the silicone tray set. I know Barb would be making some IP poppers and such with it.
EDIT: Showed it to Barb she said order one...Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
Bob, those look amazing!
I may have to get Pammi some of those egg cups so she can make some of those in her IP!
And, I've been thinking about some beef jerky.
I may borrow that recipe!
Thanks in advance!

Back