Jerk Chicken Wings again!

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I've been hungry for Jerk Chicken Wings and after torrential rains, the sky is clear. I had a dozen wing parts so elected to use the 14.5 WSM in "grill mode". No water pan and on the top grate, only. All vents open - running at 350+.

My wife, Marilyn, brined the chicken parts for thirty minutes, then marinated in a slurry of Walkerswood Original Paste and Pure Virgin Olive Oil for several hours.

Chicken on the smoker (with three or so small chunks of apple):

Wings on the flip:

Wings sauced with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce:

Wings on the platter:

I have to say that these were some of the best wings I have ever done. If you like the heat and flavor of Jerk Seasoning (I LOVE it) you will love these too. The brining had the chicken nice and moist and using Chris' technique of "Hot and Fast Chicken" the skin was crisp. The caramelized sauce added layers of flavor. As my sister used to say, "It was to die for";)...

Try it, you'll like it, I guar -annnn-teeeee it!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I still need to try your slurry mix, I always just rub it on straight, hardly any wait & then throw them on.

Clint;
I have found that using a mechanical meat tenderizer leads to crisper skin (lets the fat drain away faster) and also gets the marinade slurry deeper into the meat. The longer the meat is marinated (up to as long as over night in the refrigerator) the deeper the flavor. Finally, a sweet sauce, caramelized, adds a significant additional layer of flavor. Of course, lightly smoked with apple wood adds the final touch:cool:.

I have never been to the "Islands" but, I believe I mentioned on here before, that I ran into a couple of very nice Jamaican Women at Jungle Jim's while resupplying with Walkerswood. When they saw me buying the Walkerswood, they started talking to us and stated "That is the real stuff". They seemed surprised that a couple of locals would be grilling Jerk Chicken but were quite approving. When I told them how we were using the Jerk Seasoning, they stated that in the Islands, a sweet BBQ sauce at the end was "the way". We were instant friends!

One of these days I hope to run onto some Pimento wood for smoking the jerk chicken (as is done in the Islands).

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:
Great lookin' bird bits, Robert! I can't believe I'm confessing, but: I still haven't picked up any Walkerswood... Bad Brian - bad, bad, bad.

That cooking method has become my go-to way to grill chicken. We like jerk chicken so I'll have to look for the Walkerswood seasoning. Nice job.

Here's the link if you can't find Walkerswood locally:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=...alias=aps&linkId=BBTF3O32JKJKTVTK?tag=TVWB-20

I prefer the Traditional Hot and Spicy but there IS a good bit of heat. If a bit of heat bothers you, try the Mild first. they are both quite good. I started out with Mild, then mixed Mild and Hot and Spicy 50/50 then decided I preferred the Traditional Hot and Spicy full strength - YMMV.

Here is Walkerswood web site with some good recipes:
http://www.walkerswood.com/

Keep on smokin',

Clint;
Thanks for sharing this web site. I had already seen it a few days ago. However, when I saw the prices (as an example, $50.00 for a nine pound box of Pimento charcoal). Four small sticks (about a foot long) $40.00. I won't be making "authentic" jerk chicken at those prices but I sure do like the wonderful flavor of Walkerswood Seasoning along with apple or pecan smoke wood.

If I were a younger person, I would put my wife on a plane and head for the Caribbean to try some out first hand. Guess that won't happen, either but a feller can dream, can't he;)?

NOTE:
Just so folks won't be put off by the talk of heat when doing Jerk Chicken - I consider Walkerswood "Hot and Spicy" to be about Medium to Medium Hot (not Fire Alarm Hot). I am NOT one of those macho guys that tries to burn out a feller or gals taste buds. I LOVE Jalapenos but am NOT a fan of Habaneros...

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:

Back