Jack Daniels Double Kick Pork Chops - sound good?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I'm not the biggest pork chop fan - I've had a few cooked for dinner for me, but I've never been happy with mine.....

I remember & like most what IIRC were pan-fried served by my aunt many years ago........all that I've cooked have been sub par.....so much so that I haven't made them for years.

This recipe looks good to me though:

Jack Daniels Double Kick Pork Chops
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons molasses
½ cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili pepper paste (I used Gourmet Garden)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
3 pounds bone in pork chops (½” – ¾” thick)

Combine ingredients (except pork chops) in a medium size bowl. Whisk to combine.

Add pork chops to a gallon size resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over pork chops. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes up to overnight.

Preheat grill to medium high. Place pork chops on grill and sear on both sides. Remove to indirect heat and cook until done.

Place the pork chops on the grill and sear both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Move the pork chops away from the flame. Cook over indirect heat with the grill closed until they are somewhat firm to the touch or until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into the center of a chop, away from the bone, registers 145°F, about 15 minutes.

Transfer the pork chops to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

COOK'S NOTES: You can prepare these in a cast iron skillet. Place pork chops in a preheated skillet over medium high heat. Sear on both sides. Place skillet in oven 350°F for 3-5 minutes until cooked through.

You can double the recipe for the marinade and cook half of the sauce until it is thick. I brush it on the pork chops while they cook over indirect heat and also serve it along side them. You could also prepare this grill sauce. I make the grill sauce by the bucket. It is so good and tastes amazing on everything. We even use it to dip our fries in.

Clint, that sounds real good have to give this one a try. Like Rich said we love pork chops and always looking for a new way to cook them. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I'm grilling chops tonight :D
I have all those ingredients save the chili pepper paste :( and the Jack (but I do have Wild Turkey)

Clint, I use to HATE making chops also... until I started brining (water, salt & sugar) the pork overnight.
Now, they're excellent every flippin' time.

I have all those ingredients save the chili pepper paste :( and the Jack (but I do have Wild Turkey)

Clint, I use to HATE making chops also... until I started brining (water, salt & sugar) the pork overnight.

Do you have sriracha? That might be a dumb question :)

Wild Turkey will probably be good, maybe even better.... might be a good idea to cut it back a touch---I've only bought one bottle of that stuff - it kicked my butt... I think it was WT 101

I have no idea about cooking w/ wild turkey...

The problem I have, I buy the JD for the brine, marinade or whatever it's cooking purpose is, but for some odd reason when it's time to use it, it's all gone. Gotta come up with a marinade that doesn't just vanish and such

Had many a dance with that Wild Turkey 101, been awhile though. It's the only bourbon Barb will drink on the rocks straight. But like Chuck said can't use it for cooking dang stuff seems to evaporate even with the cap on.

I would like to try that to see what the difference is, I've heard others say the same as you. Got to watch the salt but once in a while would be okay I guess. Could you share the brine recipe. Thanks.

Those chops sound really good, and how about the JD Mac n Cheese in the pic just below.

That site is always posting stuff I want to make.... there's a pretzel dog (dog wrapped in some pizza. Dough from a supermarket pizza dough tube, boiled in some baking soda water, rolled in coarse salt etc then baked) anyway..... that's turned out well... others too.

Do you have sriracha? That might be a dumb question :)

Wild Turkey will probably be good, maybe even better.... might be a good idea to cut it back a touch---I've only bought one bottle of that stuff - it kicked my butt... I think it was WT 101

I have no idea about cooking w/ wild turkey...
I do have Sriracha, that's a good switch, thanks!

I would like to try that to see what the difference is, I've heard others say the same as you. Got to watch the salt but once in a while would be okay I guess. Could you share the brine recipe. Thanks.
my recipe is nothing: 4 cups water, 2 tablespoons each of kosher salt and white sugar.
that's more than enough for two thick chops.
used this for years and it's sooo easy, it's a crime.

I bought Famous Grouse whiskey instead of Jack Daniels for my Thanksgiving turkey and the plan had been to use it to brine the Thanksgiving turkey, but I drank it...Oops

Still I think it would have made a nice brine, and it's cheaper than Jack. I ended up getting the Honey Jack, and that was an excellent whiskey brine, and I bet it would be pretty good for Pork Chops too

I bought Famous Grouse whiskey instead of Jack Daniels for my Thanksgiving turkey and the plan had been to use it to brine the Thanksgiving turkey, but I drank it...Oops

I had the same problem the other day - I was working on a new stand for my aquarium in my neighbor's shop the other night & he "repaid" me some (8oz) whiskey (in a jar) that I lent him for his whiskey chicken legs (I'll have to get his recipe - they're incredible). He dropped his wife off @ the airport @ 4am and was still tired so he only came out a couple times. I put that away with 4 cokes from his mini fridge before I had a chance to cook with it.

**He repaid me some more whiskey tonight & we grilled these up at my house after marinating for about 30 minutes. The meat sure did soften after only ~30 minutes. We only cooked two 1# pork sirloin chops & they were pretty good. Hot, for him (even my jalapeno ranch was hot for him :) ).

I left 2 more chops in the marinade, I'll cook them up tomorrow afternoon...try to get a respectable pic or two.

Good stuff, but I'm going to get his recipe - it's better.... on chicken.... on his traeger.

Back