I've Pimped My Joe's.

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
I was impressed with the chimney griller grate, from Unknown BBQ, so I had similar cooking grates cut for both Smokey & Jumbo.
11 gauge 304 SS.

Smokey Joe.
311nurk.jpg

Jumbo Joe.
2yjx2qr.jpg

George.

I had these made by a company not too far away. I sent them the dimensions I wanted, along with a photo of the Unknown BBQ Chimney Griller. Turnaround time, from enquiry to delivery, was 5 days. I don't expect to have to replace these grates any time soon.

George. I haven't used them yet. This weekend hopefully.
Edit: (Going by the grill marks of the UBBQ Chimney Griller, I would think so.).

Chris. Did you get my PM?

Nice metal work! We would love some details on your machine shop and details on your new grills:

1. Material used
2. What gauge/thickness is the grill
3. process made, is it laser cut?

I can't wait to see your cooks with these grills.

I should have mentioned it before but the ole brain cells are slow like me. Any way, I have done a few cooks on my large chimney and one was with a normal sj grate and the other was with the grate from my lodge grill. I kinda like these but I try to multiuse most things that I have.

Nice metal work! We would love some details on your machine shop and details on your new grills:

1. Material used
2. What gauge/thickness is the grill
3. process made, is it laser cut?

I can't wait to see your cooks with these grills.

Walt / George.

The machine shop that made the grates is based in Glasgow, about 150 miles away. The minimum price order was £80 / $112. (This covers all material, labour costs & machine set-up & shipping). So basically I had to buy a stock piece of sheet. I had grates made for the SJ and the JJ.

I gave the machine shop my dimensions, and the size of the diamonds I wanted cut. The design team at the shop did the draw-up on CAD & then sent the PDF's for my approval before cutting. The work and finishing is excellent, no nicks / burrs or sharp edges. From order to delivery was 4 days. Some people may think $112 dollars for two cooking grates a bit steep. I don't care, I like 'em. I guess it's the price you are willing to pay for your hobby. :)

1. 304 stainless steel. 2B Nitto. (Cold rolled, heat treated, pickled, pinch passed. The most common cold rolled mill finish. Dull grey slightly reflective finish. Can be used in this condition or frequently is the starting point for a wide range of polished finishes).
2. 3mm / 11 gauge.
3. Yes, it was laser cut.

Edit. I did a burn-off yesterday to get rid of any possible manufacturing residue. I did notice there was some slight sagging of the grate, due to its weight. However, this morning I had a look and the grate had contracted back to its original shape. To prevent this happening again, I turned the original grate upside down and laid the new grate on top. This will give it more than enough support. I installed two eye-bolts to make it easier to remove the grate.

2hy9ric.jpg

Last edited:

Back