I've always liked red heads...

So that pretty much narrows it down. The wood slats, and the x000 grills ended in either 1998 or 1999. In the latter years of the 90s it looks like they started using durawood as an upscale option on some grills. Maybe by 1999 they were all durawood?
Dan's grill looks like a 98 or 99 to me, but with wood slats that you confirmed were still available in at least 98 if not 99https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/behind-the-grill/the-evolution-of-the-gas-grill/weber-29896.html

Yah, I pretty much assumed that wood was gone by the mid 90's. I personally would prefer real wood on a new grill over durawood as long as it was a quality wood like Redwood or even cedar.

Yah, I pretty much assumed that wood was gone by the mid 90's. I personally would prefer real wood on a new grill over durawood as long as it was a quality wood like Redwood or even cedar.
The durawood looked good when it was new. Unfortunately, like the original Trex composite decking, it doesn't age well. I've power washed and sanded durawood to try and make it look nice again.

The durawood looked good when it was new. Unfortunately, like the original Trex composite decking, it doesn't age well. I've power washed and sanded durawood to try and make it look nice again.
Can durawood be stained or painted if the grain is in good shape?

I guess I'm trying to ask if is in physically good shape is it possible. Or is it likely a lost cause that will need to be replaced?

I'm considering that maroon platinum ( which is I think a genesis 2000 )

Price has dropped to $60...

edit: this one... I really should just walk away...

243639492_5260371124050548_2394162920578091375_n.jpg

Last edited:
Can durawood be stained or painted if the grain is in good shape?

I guess I'm trying to ask if is in physically good shape is it possible. Or is it likely a lost cause that will need to be replaced?

I'm considering that maroon platinum ( which is I think a 2000 )

Price has dropped to $60...

edit: this one... I really should just walk away...

243639492_5260371124050548_2394162920578091375_n.jpg
Personally, I really like that grill for the money. As far as the durawood, you live in a much milder climate than I do so it might clean up just fine.

As I look at the picture again it appears that the tank scale is missing though. If that was mentioned already, I apologize.

As I look at the picture again it appears that the tank scale is missing though. If that was mentioned already, I apologize.

it is natural gas.

I have an extra tank hanger scale and the vertical mount to hold the scale.

I'd need to swap manifolds or pickup an LP flavor.

Last edited:
I think you could paint durawood if you prep and use good paint. Satin black might look really sharp on that grill. In time, of course, the paint will wear/chip off in high usage areas, but you would just have to repaint. Not really worse than wood that you have to refinish eventually as well.

Here is my "current" thinking, subject to change...

I picked this up for free last weekend. The wood slats are shot, and would be a lot of work for the time being.

So, for $50 I could move this pretty blue lid to the other frame, swap this manifold and tank hanger and... and I could delay a lot of wood working for this grill. I think the blue with grey is a sharp combination -- if it cleans up well.

But, I really should just walk away for now... ( deer in the headlight look )

20211002_121935-jpg.38264

Here is my "current" thinking, subject to change...

I picked this up for free last weekend. The wood slats are shot, and would be a lot of work for the time being.

So, for $50 I could move this pretty blue lid to the other frame, swap this manifold and tank hanger and... and I could delay a lot of wood working for this grill. I think the blue with grey is a sharp combination -- if it cleans up well.

But, I really should just walk away for now... ( deer in the headlight look )

20211002_121935-jpg.38264
For that matter, you could just swap the durawood tables to the blue grill.

Back