I've always liked red heads...

I think durawood was part of the Platinum Series, too, but I don't know that for a fact, only an observation.
You could be right, but I haven't seen a grill from at least 97-99 with real wood slats. If you have I would definitely like to hear about it!

On the lid endcap, back by the hinge, is another casting date. That will tell you if the lid matches the grill, but just by the emblem I can pretty much say that it does.

It's definitely a keeper.

View attachment 38280

Do I need to remove the end cap to see the casting date?

I'm trying to date the red head from the original post. The serial number is unreadable on the side of the control panel, and the date code on the bottom of the cookbox is too far gone for me to decipher.

edit: This is the only picture I had before I had to dismantle it to get it home.

screenshot_20210724-203952_chrome-jpg.33475

Do I need to remove the end cap to see the casting date?

I'm trying to date the red head from the original post. The serial number is unreadable on the side of the control panel, and the date code on the bottom of the cookbox is too far gone for me to decipher.

edit: This is the only picture I had before I had to dismantle it to get it home.

screenshot_20210724-203952_chrome-jpg.33475
I'd like to know what year that grill is too. It looks like a 98 based on the lid emblem, but it has real wood slats. 1997 grills had a sticker underneath the control panel with that info on it. The casting might be the only way to nail it down unless someone can offer some insight.

I'd like to know what year that grill is too. It looks like a 98 based on the lid emblem, but it has real wood slats. 1997 grills had a sticker underneath the control panel with that info on it. The casting might be the only way to nail it down unless someone can offer some insight.
White sticker is on the side of the control panel. It is sun bleached and not readable.

Last edited:
Weber forensics! I love it!

I'm seeing late 98 on that casting date, but it's a best guess. That would match the use of the paper sticker and the location of it (my 89 has the silver mylar sticker on the back side of the control panel and my 98 has the paper sticker on the end. My 2005 Silver and Gold C's both are up on the inside of the frame.) I have the slider on the swing table (and the casters) on my 89 G4 but I think that was only installed on the higher end G4s and G5s at that time...by 98 I think the slider was pretty much mainstream as were the casters.

Some people have had luck using a black light to read those faded paper labels, but yours might be too far gone for that. These dual beam flashlights are pretty good for the money and I bought 3 of them when they had a special deal on them in January of this year. They work well with 18650 batteries.

I haven't tried them out on reading labels but they are great fun with the wife...takes us back to our hippie days with the incense and the black light posters. And they show all the lint and threads on the floor that the vacuum didn't pick up.

As for the casting date on the lid, of course it would be easier to read if the lid and/or end cap is off and you are looking at it straight on, but you might be able to read it at an angle (see below). This is the casting date on the rounded Silver lid taken at an angle...notice that there is only a single year digit, a 5, but this is a very clean, unrestored end cap, and the date isn't back in the deepest, darkest corner like the early Gennies.

20200902_131732.jpg

Last edited:
Some people have had luck using a black light to read those faded paper labels, but yours might be too far gone for that. These dual beam flashlights are pretty good for the money and I bought 3 of them when they had a special deal on them in January of this year. They work well with 18650 batteries.

I haven't tried them out on reading labels but they are great fun with the wife...takes us back to our hippie days with the incense and the black light posters. And they show all the lint and threads on the floor that the vacuum didn't pick up.
Ed, that flashlight listing says it uses 3 - AAA batteries. Can you just replace those with an 18650?

Ed, that flashlight listing says it uses 3 - AAA batteries. Can you just replace those with an 18650?
Yes, a single 18650. The 18650 will last about 3x - 4x as long as the AAAs.

I've got probably 8 or 10 of these small flashlights around the house and can never seem to find one when I need one. They always seem to accumulate in the Man Cave for some reason.

Does the 18650 adapter come with the flashlight or do you have to buy that separately?

In our section with old Weber brochures, we have a 1998 edition that still shows wood slats. Unfortunately, we do not have 1999 or 2000. By 2001 they have gone to the Silver/Gold/Platinum and are using thermoset tables.
2000 is a Silver B. I have one, DD date code with lefthand thermoset table. I also have the original manual.

Does the 18650 adapter come with the flashlight or do you have to buy that separately?
There is no adapter for the 18650, the adapter is for the AAAs, and must be removed. There is a plastic sleeve included so the 18650 doesn't rattle around inside the flashlight, but I don't ...

Wait! I have one right here! Well whaddya know!

20211006_112508.jpg20211006_112532.jpg20211006_112614.jpg

The flashlight works just as well without the sleeve.

2000 is a Silver B. I have one, DD date code with lefthand thermoset table. I also have the original manual.
So that pretty much narrows it down. The wood slats, and the x000 grills ended in either 1998 or 1999. In the latter years of the 90s it looks like they started using durawood as an upscale option on some grills. Maybe by 1999 they were all durawood?

Back