I've always liked red heads...

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Screenshot_20210724-203952_Chrome.jpg

15 minutes away. Just brought it home.

The good:
Red lid is in fantastic condition
Firebox is in good condition
end caps are in great condition. texture is in good shape.
Frame doesn't appear to be rusted
fairly new hose, regulator and new style propane connector
Includes new in box side rails for bottom pan.
bottom pan looks fairly new
grease drip pan holder and grease pan look fairly new, but
cast iron grates look fair. Hoping they will clean up with just a little effort.
side control panel looks great.
I was told the igniter still works.
includes a cover that appears to be in decent condition
thermometer looks good. may have been replaced at some point
includes warming rack and swinging potato rack that mounts in the lid.
burners are fair

Needs help:
Frame upper cross bar that holds fire box is rusted and will need to be cut out and replaced.
Flavorizer bars are shot and need to be replaced.
much of the wood is shot and will need to be replaced.
frame and firebox and the lid end caps need paint.

I did not fire it up I just loaded it up with a smile on my face.
The couple that gave it away were the original owners and replaced it with a new one from Costco.

edits: Items that looked OK in the dark, but...
Igniter needs to be replaced.
crossover tube is broken.
Knobs are brittle and need to be replaced. one crumbled removing it
CI grates need to be replaced
Thermometer stuck around 550F
lower shelf mounts that hold wood slats rusted and need to be replaced.

Last edited:
Thanks Samuel, I'm excited. Can you tell what model it is? The part number / serial number tag is completely faded.

It is a 13 bar deep box.

Its dark out now and it is still in the back of the truck so I'll look into it closer tomorrow.

Ok, Thanks. I'm searching to see how to properly ID this. maybe I can get the SN off the parts label even though it is faded.

Ok, Thanks. I'm searching to see how to properly ID this. maybe I can get the SN off the parts label even though it is faded.
I've had success in reading the serial number off of a faded Genesis grill label by shining a UV light on the label. Somehow this will bring out the ghost image of the numbers that were printed on the label.

Looking at this in daylight shows a bit more rust.

The lid is without a doubt the best part of this find.

I need to decide what to do with this and if it's worth the time and effort to make it work. Or if I combine this with the 2000 /2002 silver B parts for a hybrid.

20210725_090239.jpg

Here is how to repair the crossmember:
Keep in mind if combining it with a Silver B, you will have some incompatabilities. Cook boxes won't swap from one frame to the other, same with control panel and shelves. Lids can be swapped however. There are other considerations, so just be away the two grills are very similar, but not the same.

Thanks for the post on repairing the cross member @Bruce. I watched this before but it saved me from finding it again.

On the compatibility, thank you for bringing the cook box not fitting to my attention.

I was hoping that maybe, just maybe I had an oddball early model 2000 frame that would hold the deep cookbox. I lined the two frames up side by side and it looked close enough to try but once I removed the old firebox and measured, its off by over half an inch.

But I tried to fit it anyway, and no I didn't get lucky..

Thanks again Bruce. I really appreciate you mentioning this before I went to far off the deep end.

I'm not sure what next steps are for this.

The cross member repair wasn't the biggest thing on the list. It was also the lower shelf and I was hoping to use the wire shelf from my silver B.

The grill needs about $150 in parts to get it cooking again, and that's not even getting started on the cosmetics for the wood. I'm not sure this one is worth it.

The red lid is a keeper, so I might just put the older grill back together, install the tired looking black lid from the other silver B I have and post it for free.

Last edited:
20210808_131205.jpg
Black lid that will join this giveaway.

I'm rethinking things and since it didn't get given away, I might just rehab it.

Last edited:
@Rich G I'm keeping the red lid but the rest is up for grabs including the wood handle. Red lid is going on a Silver B.

I'm trying to get this cooking on the cheap so I'm taking back my give-away offer.

Last edited:
@DanHoo, I'll take the whole lot including the black lid, handle, etc. That way you don't have to figure out what I want/don't want. :) Let me figure out my schedule for this week, and if I'm not headed your way, I will have my friend who lives near you swing by.

Thanks, Dan!

R

@Rich G found what he needed closer to him so this has been taking up space for almost two months.

I've been on the fence getting a 13 bar deep box for a while so I'm going to try to get this one cooking again.

I need:
- crossover tube, or a set of burners
- flavorizer bars

I won't make it pretty until I'm sure its a keeper so my goal right now is getting it cooking on the cheap.

You know, I ran my 13 bar grill with a set of stainless flavorizer bars for a 5 bar grill and never noticed a difference. I bought them from ace hardware on clearance. I don't remember what grill they were for, but they fit perfectly and were cheap.

Thanks Steve.

I'm not sure what to do about Flav bars. The cheapest on amazon is about $30 for what looks like 20 gauge 403 stainless. I need to drop a note to David S. (rcplanebuyer) and get a price for the good ones.

I ordered the burners, and have an extra igniter so the flav bars are the last piece needed.

Honestly, I would probably just order the cheap ones. Really the only thing I will spend too much money on is the grates and that's just a personal preference as well.

Back