Italian Cooking

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
Has anyone out there had any success cooking Italian food on the grill? It is a favorite of our family and my wife and I have spent many nights in the kitchen cooking wonderful dishes. But I can't help trying to adapt the great flavors outside. I know somewhere in the countryside of Italy some folks are producing great food over an open fire...

Grilled Tuscan-Style Chicken Under a Brick, bruschetta, meatballs, roasted onion and tomatoes for a rustic tomato sauce, sausage with peppers and onions, etc, etc.

You can cook anything outside you cook inside. Direct = cooktop. Indirect = oven.

Last edited:
One thing that I like to do is hot Italian sausage low and slow over charcoal and perhaps some smokewood.
I'll use the end product for Hors d'Oeuvres, spaghetti, salads, soups, breakfast, you name it.
Johnsonville is the brand I use most of the time....sometimes house brands.

I like making meatballs for sandwiches and spaghetti. Baked Ziti is a favorite of mine to make on the grill and have made chicken and eggplant Parmesan on the grill too. I am convinced if it will fit there is nothing you can't cook on a Weber grill

I like making meatballs for sandwiches and spaghetti. Baked Ziti is a favorite of mine to make on the grill and have made chicken and eggplant Parmesan on the grill too. I am convinced if it will fit there is nothing you can't cook on a Weber grill

Thanks John. Anything that comes from you is greatly appreciated. Your food is among my favorites on this site.

Robert, if you'll go to Amazon and search for "Italian grilling" you will find several books, including one by Mario Batali that is rated well.

Rita

While maybe not Italian in the strict sense of the word, I like to smoke Italian sausage and meatballs on the kettle to mix in with the
pasta and sauce. The smoke wood is usually Apple. I use GrillGrates to help keep the sausage from burning, and the meatballs get crunchy
on the outside.

I agree with what some of the others have said if you have a grill whether it be gas or charcoal that is big enough to have indirect and direct zones you should be able to do any thing a stove/oven can do.
I will be making a tomato sauce on the performer with a hint of apple smoke to be used in a chicken parmesan dish the will be cooked on the gasser.

Italian? What could be more Italian than Rustic Pizza on the grill;

The picture does not clearly show it but the pizza stone is resting on top of two fire bricks setting on edge - that way, the pizza cooks evenly both top and bottom!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Has anyone out there had any success cooking Italian food on the grill? It is a favorite of our family and my wife and I have spent many nights in the kitchen cooking wonderful dishes. But I can't help trying to adapt the great flavors outside. I know somewhere in the countryside of Italy some folks are producing great food over an open fire...

If you are adventurous you can try porchetta but if you make it outside expect neighbors coming over.

Summer in New Orleans is hot as hell. Once it gets hot, I don't turn on the oven short of an emergency but Brian will cook whatever I need an oven for on the Weber. I made a big pan of stuffed bell peppers a couple of weeks ago and he used pecan wood in the Weber. God, they had the best flavor.

Thanks all for the advice. When I get the chance to try something I will post the cook.

Your post got me thinking, I tried pizza for the first time without a peel the whole thing went south but quick, the flavor was there but the crust and presentation were not (5/10). For the first try it was okay, I certainly learned what NOT to do.

but I had some extra fresh pizza dough so I figured strombolis. It turned out sooooo good like 9/10. Way easier than pizza sans peel and really good.

Back