It:s a 3:30 am butt...

Dave Wr.

TVWBB Member
I've started my first attempt at pulled pork - was planning on an overnight but fell asleep!
icon_smile.gif
Woke up at 3:15 am and started the coals etc. Put a 8.6 lb butt in the smoker by 4:07am - using the renowned Mr. Brown recipe.

Right now the grate temp is holding around 235 - is this too low? or should it be more in the 250 range? I also chickened out using only a foiled pan and decided, at least on this one, to use the clay pot as well. I'll be posting pics later...

Dozed off again! It's been a bit over 3 hours into the cook and the smoker is holding at 231 and the butt is now @ 131. The question I'm wrestling with is to foil @ 160 or let it go unfoiled the whole way. Does anyone have any input on this?
Thanks!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Looks like you are of to a great start! I never foil. But that is up to you.

Foil if you are running out of time. Or crank up the heat. 225-250 is perfect for a butt.

Report back!

What time do you want to eat?

I usually do butts I'm the 250* range and they usually go around 1.5 hrs/# until they get to tender. At 230* you're looking at a longer cook than that. Either fooling or bumping temps up will make things go faster. You won't notice a difference in the finished producr if you bump temps. You might if you foil... I don't know, I've never foiled a butt.

As long as I can can get to bed by 10pm I'm good
icon_smile.gif
It's for some friends I'm having over for lunch tomorrow afternoon. I would have loved to not have to reheat but I have church on Sunday morning so this was the alternative (doesn't mean I'm not going to sneak some when it's done though
icon_smile.gif
I was still hoping when it was finished to rest it in foil/cooler for a couple of hours just to tenderize even more - do you feel that is not necessary? I've also read to let it rest tented with foil for 30 minutes then pull? Should I pull it tonight or wrap whole/reheat tomorrow and pull it then? Thanks for the input!!!

Hope all turns out, Dave. I make fewer vent adjustments using water in the pan, but don't sweat 275*. You can shut the top vent a little if you're out of the smoking stage. Wouldn't want to keep any more smoke in the cooker than an open vent would allow for the risk of the smoke not being as sweet and oversmoking. I wouldn't foil as long as you can get the temp back down to around 250* sometime soon, but if you continue to have issues with temps upwards of 275* it doesn't hurt to just take a peek and foil if it's getting hard. Don't take too much time with the lid off, though.

I got the smoker temp back down and holding around 235. It's very windy out which is why I have it in the wash basin trying guard the vents. I flipped the butt over around 7 hours in and sopped it - the internal butt temp has been holding at 165 - the smell is amazing
icon_smile.gif

You don't need to foil it to finish the cook as you have as much time as you need. You don't need to mop/spritz either. You're best to let it sit for 30 minutes and then pull it. Store it in ziplocks when it cools enough. Reheat it Sunday either in a pan with some liquid (apple juice), in the ziplocks in a simering pan of water with some liquid or wrapped in foil in a low oven, again with some liquid. That's my 2 cents anyway, respectful of all the other suggestions you have or will get.

BTW - I'm doing a 7lb Mr. Brown right now. Started at 1pm est and hoping to finish by 9pm est by foiling. I'll have a softer bark but this cook was unexpected and I'm trying to hit a deadline for tonight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Wr.:
Thanks James...Total cooking time was 15.5 hours - took it off @ 194 deg. pulled it then wrapped it for tomorrow's lunch - it is finished.
Thanks for the great tips and advice everyone !!!
icon_smile.gif

http://s1111.photobucket.com/a...1/BB%2010%2015%2011/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See? All that worrying for nothing.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back