It looked like a steal—so I stole it.

I agree with the assessments that you got a very nice grill. Clean up the burners well. Biggest issue you might face is the condition of the grates. If they are flaking off porcelain or too rusty, that will be your main expense. You might want to post close-up pictures. If the igniter does not work, that's not a big deal. There are a variety of non-OEM Weber parts for these grills of very good quality that will get you up to 100%. First, see what things look and work like.

I agree with the assessments that you got a very nice grill. Clean up the burners well. Biggest issue you might face is the condition of the grates. If they are flaking off porcelain or too rusty, that will be your main expense. You might want to post close-up pictures. If the igniter does not work, that's not a big deal. There are a variety of non-OEM Weber parts for these grills of very good quality that will get you up to 100%. First, see what things look and work like.
The grates are just past the restoration point—slight rust but the porcelain is starting to flake, so into the garbage can they went. I’ll start more cleanup later today. I’d like to replace the grates with stainless steel ones. Any recommendations for those? RCPlane doesn’t make them anymore-I DM’d him. If there aren’t SS ones that are any good which cast iron ones wold you recommend. Also, there’s one wheel that keeps coming off. Otherwise, I think it will clean up nicely.

The grates are just past the restoration point—slight rust but the porcelain is starting to flake, so into the garbage can they went. I’ll start more cleanup later today. I’d like to replace the grates with stainless steel ones. Any recommendations for those? RCPlane doesn’t make them anymore-I DM’d him. If there aren’t SS ones that are any good which cast iron ones wold you recommend. Also, there’s one wheel that keeps coming off. Otherwise, I think it will clean up nicely.
There are some VERY good CI replacements for not much $$$$. Sadly the good heavy solid SS grates like Bruce and I got for ours are not longer available and the only other thing is those cheesy rod grates with sheet metal welded underneath for grease deflection. Not best choice.

If you're keeping the grill and want to spend some money these Australian ones look nice. https://ezyq.com.au/collections/stainless-steel-hot-plates-for-weber-qs.
1697048223767.png
Other wise there are these.
1697048262345.png

Those StanBroil ones are the "cheesy" ones I was referring to. Bruce and I were lucky enough to get the equivalent of those EasyQ ones from Amazon and actually StanBroil IIRC. They actually work with how the grill is intended to work. As the grate being an integral part of the heat distribution system

If you're keeping the grill and want to spend some money these Australian ones look nice. https://ezyq.com.au/collections/stainless-steel-hot-plates-for-weber-qs.
View attachment 80469
Other wise there are these.
View attachment 80470
Thanks for your quick reply. The Amazon ones have weak reviews, especially for the Q3200 as not fitting correctly (fractionally small) and sadly, I really like the ones from Australia, but their website says they only ship within Australia.

BTW, @Joe Anshien, I truly appreciate yours and @LMichaels and @Jon Tofte’s) vast knowledge on parts and care and service of these BBQ’s.
Your welcome. The Q320 was my favorite Weber gas grill. I studied all the Youtube vids on making everything with it. I cooked everything from wings to pizza. From what I saw I think it is the national grill of Australia. They are practically indestructible, and I brought a lot of badly abused ones back to life.

BTW, @Joe Anshien, I truly appreciate yours and @LMichaels and @Jon Tofte’s) vast knowledge on parts and care and service of these BBQ’s.
That's why we are all here. It's a good thing to share and learn from each other. I think you will really enjoy your "Big Q." As @LMichaels says, it is a very versatile and yet simple grill. Going all out like you have on the grates, you will have an almost bullet-proof grill given reasonable care.

This was my similar 3200 that I regretfully sold before I left Florida:

IMG_4257.JPEGIMG_4435.JPEG

Here's a cool picture that shows a 300/3200 size grate set on top of a Genesis 300 grill. It gives a better idea of just how big the "Big Q" is!

IMG_4259.JPEG

Yeah, you really don't give up much on the Q3xxx series. Certainly not much in size, and outright ability to just plain "grill" is great as well. Simple and rugged. Low and slow is a little tougher but still eminently doable on it as well. If I am using a gasser 90% of the time it's the Q. Other 10% The Wolf. Though the Wolf this summer has been mostly a "corn" grill. Though it has been pressed into service for some larger numbers of burgers and dogs. Honestly have not done much more with it.

Back