Is this worth $150

They are unique and kind of cool. As Bruce noted they have a kind of "macho" look that stands out from Silvers of that era. But, as Bruce and others noted these aren't the easiest to restore due to parts. $150 for a keeper if you look at it and really like it, sure. But I think it will be uphill as a flip grill. I got a blue one for half that.
Parts availability is major concern. That alone would have me keep looking.

As pointed out by another member parts are around. And I believe things could be retrofitted. You better go grab it before I make a road trip :D But, seriously if it's not gonna be a flipper, and you're gonna keep it. I'd be on that like white on rice. As long as it's not a rust bucket. I almost grabbed one exactly like it but it was so far gone. (like my old Genesis 3000) it was just better to salvage for parts.

There is alot of info in this thread from Jeff who restored one of these. I don't think the parts are that big an issue as when you read the thread their is some stuff that can be obtained that fit other models. Steve found the flavorizer bars so that is no big deal.

If its close to you go look at it most likely the burners were stainless so those might be fine, the bars not sure but they might be fine also. That grill ran if I remember around $800 bucks in those days might be wrong but I agree that offering $25 is not very realistic. That thing is a tank for a keeper hard to go wrong depending on condition bring cash if you like it make a more reasonable offer they might take it. :unsure:

I have a Weber Skyline, sold via Craftsman, about 25 years ago. It’s similar to Bruce’s icon pic.

I just got an E335, for the stainless surfaces, larger cooking area, underneath storage, hidden tank, side burner, etc. Its lighter weight cover goes on and off easier than the heavy duty Skyline’s, and I like the versatility of a griddle, pizza stone, convertible grill, and other options I added. But the Skyline’s fold-out shelf, large wheels (for rolling on the lawn when I wash the grill), removable thermometer, and front-hanging tool hangers were an advantage over the new rig. Parts wise, I recently replaced the flavorizer bars and piezo igniter, so I’d not fret over availability.

The wife wants me to give the old one to a family member, but I’ve yet to find one that isn’t in an apartment or that could use it. So, no, it’s not headed to Goodwill or the front of the driveway. But yeah, it’s worth $150 given today’s grill prices. And the one you’re asking about looks somewhat younger than my Skyline.

I think you are getting confused with the early gen summits versus the early gen genesis.... the genesis have cast boxes without any real issues while the summits had sheet metal boxes that are prone to rusting out.

Eden Prairie, eh? Close to my old stomping grounds..... I grew up in Chanhassen back when it was nothing but corn, soy and cow fields. I'm sure its nothing like I remember nowadays.

Sometimes you'll come across one with a bowed out cookbox where the grates may want to fall inside. It's fixable, but a pain to deal with
Yep. That’s what I have. Natural gasser I left on all night on high high high! It’s not too bad but if you have any suggestions on how to fix it let me know! Learned my lesson on the post-cook burn off method! 🥴

Yep. That’s what I have. Natural gasser I left on all night on high high high! It’s not too bad but if you have any suggestions on how to fix it let me know! Learned my lesson on the post-cook burn off method! 🥴
The fix I came up with involved putting scrap wood along the front and back of the box and cranking the box back into shape using pipe clamps. The box was basically unusable before hand and after a few attempts to get it right I'm still using it going on two years.

Swapping in a new cook box is solution I would choose.

Swapping in a new cook box is solution I would choose.
That was the solution I was prepared for myself. I have extra cook boxes. Since I didn't have anything to lose I gave it a shot and it worked. Besides that, I think someday soon that will no longer be an option for those of us that don't have a parts stash. For the last couple of years I have been seeing the supply of used Genesis 1000-5000 grills for sale dwindling around me. Silver B and C grills are still plentiful.

I feel like Silvers are getting tougher to find as well. At least around me. It could just be than I am more in the hunt for them than I was 4-5 years ago.

I feel like Silvers are getting tougher to find as well. At least around me. It could just be than I am more in the hunt for them than I was 4-5 years ago.
I'm sure some of it is just being in a less populated area. You may have to expand your search area at some point. Eventually I would think the supply of Silvers will even dwindle down to hard to find status.

Certainly living well outside the larger population areas does have an effect on not only a supply of the older grills but also a customer base for the flips.

Back