Is this item safe? - hole plug for vent damper

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Fan
I got a party Q for my WSM and decided that I wanted to try out the plugs instead of foil tape if possible. I ordered the below in both 3/4" and 1/2" (the $3 waste on 2 plugs i won't need is still worth it), but I just want to be sure these are safe. Pretty sure nickel plating is what's used on grilling surfaces, but with all the dangers involved in using the wrong metal, i figured a double check with you guys would be worth it. Thanks in advance.

I think you are fine. Some people worry that the galvanized ones would get hot enough to give off toxic fumes. I don't see it getting that hot.

You'll be fine. Grill cooking grates are often plated steel and those plugs won't get near as hot..

No problem, even zinc plated wont get hot enough to be a danger where its at.

Ive got a box of them somewhere, nickel plated.

Body needs zinc anyway. Yeah, too much can poison you. Ive welded galvanized , holding my breath. Melted and poured lead , etc. When we were kids we broke open thermometers and played with mercury. A neighbor kid once swiped a container of it from storeroom at school. We played with that too. Im still here.

Last edited:
I think you are fine. Some people worry that the galvanized ones would get hot enough to give off toxic fumes. I don't see it getting that hot.
yeah sadly they sent zinc ones. I realize the temps probably aren't high enough for it to be an issue but i'd rather not risk it. I may look into a washer solution this weekend at ace, otherwise foil tape it is.

Back