Is this a continuous valve? Genesis II NG to LP

It doesn't make sense to me that you can take a valve that was designed for one system and use it in another system that is 1.5x the pressure and 2x the volatility and not have issues with the low end of things, unless the low end has an adjustable stop. The way I see it, a valve has an adjustable range, and if you just up the pressure by itself, no other changes, that adjustable range is going to shift upwards, too. I'm no expert, but that just seems logical to me.
If you would think of the valve like a water valve (ball or gate) it just varies the flow from off till fully open. Think of the orifice as the nozzle or lack of one, you put on the end of the hose. The valve will regulate the flow but the orifice size will regulate the max coming out of it.

If you would think of the valve like a water valve (ball or gate) it just varies the flow from off till fully open. Think of the orifice as the nozzle or lack of one, you put on the end of the hose. The valve will regulate the flow but the orifice size will regulate the max coming out of it.
Not in this case. It is not fully closed (off). Therein lies the rub. You have no means to adjust the minimum opening, so as the pressure goes up, so does the minimum.

This has bothered me for a long time because, logically, it doesn't make sense. Am I wrong? If I am, somebody show me the error in my thinking, please! The whole problem is, regardless of whether it is a "fixed" valve or a "continuous" valve, without a means of adjusting the minimum opening, just increasing the gas pressure alone will cause the valve to (cringing while I'm saying this!) pass more gas!

Right or wrong?

This has bothered me for a long time because, logically, it doesn't make sense. Am I wrong? If I am, somebody show me the error in my thinking, please! The whole problem is, regardless of whether it is a "fixed" valve or a "continuous" valve, without a means of adjusting the minimum opening, just increasing the gas pressure alone will cause the valve to (cringing while I'm saying this!) pass more gas!

Right or wrong?
Just out of curiosity have you tried using the valves between high and off instead of high and low? I find that works on a lot of appliances.

Just out of curiosity have you tried using the valves between high and off instead of high and low? I find that works on a lot of appliances.
Oh, no, Joe, I haven't tried to do a conversion with merely an orifice change, and I won't unless and until I can muddle my way through this logic puzzle. I know there are valves out there that are specifically made to use either LPG or NG and that typically includes a special bezel and/or an allen wrench to permit low setting adjustment. Otherwise, I can't understand how this can possibly work.

But to directly respond to your question, you are actually exploiting the deadband between wide-open and completely off. Gas valves are intended to give a fairly wide range of adjustment and by doing this you are effectively bypassing the valve.

Thanks Mack. I saw these and was wondering if they actually fit. Will order and drill them out. Need to use a 58 bit, which is just over 1 mm I believe.
These fit the 3 Genesis II grills I have tinkered with. Same M6 size fit all grill burgers and side burner.

MENSI Propane LPG Gas Pipe Water Heater DIY Burner Parts Brass Jet Nozzles for Propane 10Pcs Per Pack for Propane Grill Only(M6x0.75mm/0.5mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V5TZGCQ/?tag=tvwb-20
Hi Newbie to TVWBB here but I understand everything discussed in this thread. Just to save me some time does anyone know the orifices to order from amazon for an older Genesis 330 w sear front control nobs, so I can drill out for a NG to LP conversion? Will the ones above for Genesis II also fit my older grill? And I see on grill-repair.com he states the orifices for the front burners will not fit in the side burner. If you know the side burner size as well it would be great. They're all 12,000 BTU burners but I guess the threads are different on the side burner.

Last edited:
Yep. I would actually buy more than one BTW. Get yourself maybe 3 under the actual opening size you want going up to 58. So IOW what I do, is I would start at say 61. Give the grill a try and see if it's burning correctly. IOW, it should throttle down to a steady flame on low, on high the grill should get to 500 to 550 in a reasonable time with bars and grates in it. If not try increasing one size. Or get some wire feeler gauges just to be sure of the sizing. Twist bits tend to wobble and can (in my experience) give you a hole 2 sizes larger than you sometimes expect. I also recommend buying quality bits not Hazard Fraught bits. You'll spend about $15 or more on the collection but it will be $$$ well spent. In any case this is the procedure I use. Drill, check with feeler, do a trial run and repeat as necessary. Takes a bit of time but well worth the effort
Hi There. You seem pretty knowledgable on here. Any chance you could help me out with a question concerning buying orifices to convert an E-330? I posted it yesterday and here is what I wrote:

Hi Newbie to TVWBB here but I understand everything discussed in this thread. Just to save me some time does anyone know the orifices to order from amazon for an older Genesis 330 w sear front control nobs, so I can drill out for a NG to LP conversion? Will the ones above for Genesis II also fit my older grill? And I see on grill-repair.com he states the orifices for the front burners will not fit in the side burner. If you know the side burner size as well it would be great. They're all 12,000 BTU burners but I guess the threads are different on the side burner.

@Paulie NH The NG to LP conversions is a well discussed topic here, with some very valid warnings having been issued by members.

https://tvwbb.com/threads/how-to-gas-conversion.82839/ is a great thread to read.

As far as your specific conversion, you might want to start your own thread, with the specific details of your grill including the year.

The year can be found by looking up the serial number and using the date decoders found on this page.

Hi There. You seem pretty knowledgable on here. Any chance you could help me out with a question concerning buying orifices to convert an E-330? I posted it yesterday and here is what I wrote:

You would not drill out for going NG to LP as the orifices in it now are already WAY too large to run safely on LP. I suggest you look for an entire manifold. This is the only safe and effective way to do it. As to whether or not the valves you have are stepped or continuous it's a crap shoot as it depends on which supplier actually made the valves in your grill. Weber simply puts a min-max flow spec out to various Chinese manufacturers and however they build them Weber puts them in. I hesitate to discuss more advice than this because if something goes wrong I'm the enemy. I would rather I'm the enemy for recommending a truly safe procedure than something "risky"

You would not drill out for going NG to LP as the orifices in it now are already WAY too large to run safely on LP. I suggest you look for an entire manifold. This is the only safe and effective way to do it. As to whether or not the valves you have are stepped or continuous it's a crap shoot as it depends on which supplier actually made the valves in your grill. Weber simply puts a min-max flow spec out to various Chinese manufacturers and however they build them Weber puts them in. I hesitate to discuss more advice than this because if something goes wrong I'm the enemy. I would rather I'm the enemy for recommending a truly safe procedure than something "risky"
LOL. The horse is out of the barn already. Now I have to see if there's a horse running at the track named "risky". If so, double down. You would drill out an orifice for LP if you bought new orifices with .5mm pilot hole. I have a couple of BBQ's that people converted to NG and the manifolds and valves were originally for LP. And I have a couple of LP bbq's that people stripped the orifices out of. Got them from a weber dealer. So looking to just get cheap orifices to use to rehab them. Its very obvious when people convert to LP from NG and dont change orifices. After all the info thats shared on here about conversion I'm not sure why its an issue now. Im not even asking how to do it and what to do. I was just asking about where to buy orifices for a 2011 e330, and whether the genesis II threads changed ( because someone posted those 6mm orifices), and whether anyone knows if the orifice threads for the side burners on older 330's are different and if so what are the threads. Never asked about BTU's or orifice sizes. My questions was specific and not trying to put anything on someone. But OK. it appears the genesis II is 6mm and the older is 11/32-32 UNS. But Im capable of figuring it out. I thought I could get some help to save time.

Pauli, don't get discouraged. I think if someone has answers for your specific questions, they will let you know. However, we get a lot of people who jump in the forum with virtually no experience converting gas on grills. It is only prudent to warn people of the potential pitfalls and gotchas.
Hang in there and if someone posts up some acceptable answers before you figure it out on your own, it will benefit everyone. REgardless, it is our hope that you come back and post up your solution and how it is working out for you. It might be a similar or same situation others will encounter.

I was just asking about where to buy orifices for a 2011 e330, and whether the genesis II threads changed

I bought a conversion kit from here which included orifices and a regulator and hose. I could have gotten orifices cheaper but this was one-stop for everything I needed. edit: this was for my 2016 E330 with front controls.

I have no idea if the Genesis II threads changed or not.

@Paulie NH The NG to LP conversions is a well discussed topic here, with some very valid warnings having been issued by members.

https://tvwbb.com/threads/how-to-gas-conversion.82839/ is a great thread to read.

As far as your specific conversion, you might want to start your own thread, with the specific details of your grill including the year.

The year can be found by looking up the serial number and using the date decoders found on this page.

Dan
Thanks for the reply. Chris did a great job summarizing up a lot of things but I was looking for specific info. I understand the info discussed on these threads including the challenges and potential pitfalls especially info in the wrong hands.

Thank you again!

Pauli, don't get discouraged. I think if someone has answers for your specific questions, they will let you know. However, we get a lot of people who jump in the forum with virtually no experience converting gas on grills. It is only prudent to warn people of the potential pitfalls and gotchas.
Hang in there and if someone posts up some acceptable answers before you figure it out on your own, it will benefit everyone. REgardless, it is our hope that you come back and post up your solution and how it is working out for you. It might be a similar or same situation others will encounter.
Start my own thread? I dont want to be the enemy! ;)

I bought a conversion kit from here which included orifices and a regulator and hose. I could have gotten orifices cheaper but this was one-stop for everything I needed. edit: this was for my 2016 E330 with front controls.

I have no idea if the Genesis II threads changed or not.

Dan thanks for the info. That is a good deal but I have so many weber OEM regulators and hoses that are still good, so I was trying to get the cost of the orifice down as thats about $6 an orifice. Not a big deal for 1 BBQ. But times it by 10 and you can half fill up a truck at todays gas prices. Cant you guys grow more corn out there? And with the Ukraine debacle about to bump gas prices again we will be cooking cheerios on these grills.

Back