Is this a confessional?

LeeHarvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi. My name’s Jason. Lee is actually my middle name, but it’s what I’ve used as a screen name since forever ago, so I ran with it here.

That wasn’t the confession. Here it is:

I used to grill exclusively over burning charcoal. I’ll still fight anyone who says that a Weber Kettle isn’t the most efficient, cost-effective cooker a person can buy. I’ve performed magic on a Kettle, and I believe that it’s the peak of outdoor cooking. But it’s not perfect.

Yesterday, I prepared dinner for company who’s about to arrive. I did all of the outdoor cooking on my Genesis - not because it produced superior results, but because it was just so easy to use. Corn salad, searing chicken, and grilling poundcake and pineapple for dessert, all done in minutes. I could get the temperature up and down in far less time than I ever could with charcoal. It was just the perfect tool for the job.

I’ll never be without a charcoal grill, but I’ll never again disparage gassers as being anything less. They’re a complement to each other, and both deserve spots in my outdoor kitchen.

Jason, I learned to cook on a Weber kettle from my Dad and would never disparage doing so today. I received a Weber Genesis gas grill as wedding present (not asked for) back in 1998 and never looked back. In 2002 I bought my Dad a Weber Genesis Silver B for Christmas and he never used his Kettle again. There is no shame in being a gas grill guy. It's just easier and Weber gas grills are the best so why not?

Jason, that’s not a confession, that‘s understanding the value of proper tool for the job and time at hand!
I am also, most times, far and away one to use my kettles for everything. The Weber kettle is one of the most useful pieces of cooking apparatus in my “kitchen”! I will also argue the merits of the kettle until blue in the face, it’s just the best charcoal unit ever designed. Now, I have never owned a kamado of any kind so, I’m not fully aware of its prowess or shortcomings but, it is a heck of a lot more money than a kettle.
Jason, thanks for doing the legwork on those tables, sorry we couldn’t make that work, would have upgraded the “patio kitchen“ by leaps and bounds!

Hi. My name’s Jason. Lee is actually my middle name, but it’s what I’ve used as a screen name since forever ago, so I ran with it here.

I used to grill exclusively over burning charcoal. I’ll still fight anyone who says that a Weber Kettle isn’t the most efficient, cost-effective cooker a person can buy. I’ve performed magic on a Kettle, and I believe that it’s the peak of outdoor cooking. But it’s not perfect.

Yesterday, I prepared dinner for company who’s about to arrive. I did all of the outdoor cooking on my Genesis - not because it produced superior results, but because it was just so easy to use. Corn salad, searing chicken, and grilling poundcake and pineapple for dessert, all done in minutes. I could get the temperature up and down in far less time than I ever could with charcoal. It was just the perfect tool for the job.

I’ll never be without a charcoal grill, but I’ll never again disparage gassers as being anything less. They’re a complement to each other, and both deserve spots in my outdoor kitchen.
I agree.

Cookers are no different than anything else. Each has its forte as well as its shortcomings. It's definitely nice to have multiple cookers that complement each other. Beyond that, having the ability to cook a variety of foods at the same time and/or cook for a larger crowd than usual is a big plus.

Bob is right, the big party I did for Labor Day, I had five units in full swing. Two 22”’s one 18 the WSM and the Genesis. They ALL had their jobs to do and, every one of them performed admirably! Could I have done the feast with fewer units? Yes. Would it have been as easy? Not on your tintype! 22” kettles were set up in classic “indirect” pattern, the 18 was half and half, the Genesis had an upper deck made with firebrick and a long piece of “pizza stone” material. You need more than one grill almost any time.

Fact is that I still have my 1998 Genesis 1000 (now converted to a 2000) that I bought new in 1998. I have gone through a lot of weber grills both charcoal and gas. Like said above there are pros and cons for any grill, but there definitely is a place for both. I love my performer, but when it's cold in the winter the NG E320 will almost always get the call unless it's vortex KFC chicken then it has to be the performer. Even the pellet grill has it place with long cooks, no messing with vents and refueling on long cooks. Truly set and forget.
It's always nice to have a selection of tools to get the job done.

Gas grilling, in my opinion, is just as noble as using coal. Now, granted coal is "pure" and there are the flavor benefits, and you do have to learn heat and fuel control, but the same could be said for gas. Six or seven years ago I was burning the crap out of everything on the gas grill, and now I can control the temperature for what I am doing, and it (in my opinion) is the same concept as coal, it's just faster. We have 2 to 4 kids (sometimes they're all here, sometimes not) so coal cooking isn't a luxury I have time for for another probably ten years. By then I'll be pushing 60 and who knows if I will want to switch to coal. I've been learning so much about cooking on the gas grill lately that I feel like it will remain my tool of choice. Plus, who could argue that learning how to make incredible rotisserie chickens on the Genesis from all of you was somehow any less than pure barbecue school, using the tool of a gas grill? I don't know many who could!

Well, I am a gas cooker. Even though I haven't cooked over coals for many years, I do hold a place for those that do. It seems to me to be a more purist way of grilling. That being said, the convenience of gas outweighs that for me.

OK guys, question for you. We are on a tight budget. We have both, but what would you all say is the cheapest one to use?

Well, a bag of Kingsford is about $20. A full LP tank is about $20. I would think you can get a lot more cooking done out of a full LP tank than bag of charcoal....but, again, I am not an experienced coal burner guy and there are ways to conserve (avoid wasting coal) if you are inclined. But again, the convenience of just turning a lp grill knob off and on is what makes me happy.

Will definitely agree with you! For the past 2 months I’ve only been using my new MasterTouch (after “rediscovering“ charcoal grilling after a near 20 year break). This week, I used my 08’ Genesis 4 evenings in a row, after work, for steak (twice), chicken breast fillets and boneless center cut pork chops, with homemade garlic bread. Done with prep, cooking, settling and eating in under 1.5 hours. The weather in the DC Metro area this week has been fantabulous and was perfect for evening weeknight grilling. Love my Genesis!

Good info Dan.
Good charcoal is only about $8 a bag, use a chimney for sure. I use both gas and charcoal often and enjoy both.

Back