Is there a big difference between 215 degrees and 225?

Ryan Foote

TVWBB Member
1 hour into my baby back ribs and I've been at 215 the whole time. Any need to try and get her up to 225ish, or is 215 gonna be OK? Thanks!

I don't see any reason cooking that low unless you want drag out the cook longer, I've had good luck at 260- 280 degrees plus with bb's and spares. A toothpick check for tenderness between the bones is a good helper.

Yeah, makes sense, got friends coming over in a bit so trying to time it right. Worst case scenario is we sit around drinking til their ready though right?! Thanks for the response.

275 average here as well.. it's a good temp range because it can fluate from 250-300 and you are still to go for all meats except maybe chicken which you may want to cook higher.

If you are at 225 and it flucuates to 200, it's going to take much longer to cook and may even dry out some meats like leaner cuts of brisket.

When I smoked on my propane cabinet, I used to think you had to be at 225. I mean really, at 225. If it got to 230, I was adjusting. If it got to 220, I was adjusting.

Found this site and got my WSM. I laugh at myself now that I know better.

Now I like to target 265 and if I am anywhere near the side of a barn, I am happy. BBQ has never been better.

I use 225 as more of a marker. I try not to go too far below because I don't want to drag things out. But I get a little above - say up to about 250 - I have no problem with that. I used to adjust like crazy trying to stay right at 225. Now I just try to stay within range.

Short answer = NO
(I usually don't loose sleep over 25 or so degrees, so 15 isn't even on my radar)

However - Are we talkin' lid temp or grate temp?
(Don't know how you're reading this / what thermometer you use.) 215°F would be a bit on the "low" side for Lid Temp, which is usually a bit higher than where your meat is.

When I'm doing low and slow, I usually shoot for the vicinity of 225-250-ish°F lid temp with my Tell-Tru.

I also think most people don't realize their indoor ovens cycle on and off.

Stick a Maverick in an indoor oven to track the temp changes and you may be be surprised at how much the temps can range.

Someone on here when I inquired told me 230 with a water pan for about 4-4 1/2 hours. I did that and made the best ribs I ever had!! So now I like to have 230 as my target. I seem to be able to achieve that temp fairly easily and I can hold there with much variation.
Works for me

Yeah, Jeff, I hear you. I was worried when it was down at 215 for so long, almost lit another batch of charcoal to throw on to get it up to 225, LOL. 215 for 4 hours, and then got it up to 250 ish for the last 1.5 hours and they turned out awesome. Love this thing!

Originally posted by Jeff R:
When I smoked on my propane cabinet, I used to think you had to be at 225. I mean really, at 225. If it got to 230, I was adjusting. If it got to 220, I was adjusting.

Found this site and got my WSM. I laugh at myself now that I know better.

Now I like to target 265 and if I am anywhere near the side of a barn, I am happy. BBQ has never been better.

I was the same way - now I target 250*, relax and let it happen.

I find no reason to cook ribs any slower than 250*, and actually, the ribs might get tender before you get the bark you want if cooking too slow.

Somebody on one of the posts the other day remarked "There's no such thing as a bad cook as long as you learn from it"

Back