Is the 14.5 mini wsm worth a buy??

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
I now have 2 wsm 18.5 smokers, a new one and older but have seen the mini at Walmart. Normally when I travel I just take the 18.5 but lordy the mini would be easier to take on the go for ribs and chicken..my question is can it pull off 10-12 hrs with 2 butts with one load of charcoal?? will a large turkey breast fit on the top rack say 8- 12 lbs and the lid still fit? Is temp control harder than say the larger 2 models? I run the water pan dry with foil on top and have no problems with the bigger one. Will the size suffice for say 4 people?

David.

I have the 14.5 WSM. It's a great little cooker. I can get an 11 hr burn on a full charcoal ring minion style, no problem. I don't use water in the pan either, just a foiled terracotta 11.5" saucer. Not sure about turkey breast as I haven't cooked turkey on it. You can feed 4 people, with leftovers, easy peasy.

The 14.5 travels very well. It is easy to cook on after you get it dialed in, usually just a few cooks. For your turkey breast, maybe 12lbs max, or you can always
slice to make room.I use water in the pan most of the time.

..my question is can it pull off 10-12 hrs with 2 butts with one load of charcoal?? Is temp control harder than say the larger 2 models? I run the water pan dry with foil on top and have no problems with the bigger one. Will the size suffice for say 4 people?

One of the main reasons I bought my 14.5" WSM was it travels easy. I like taking to the campgrounds with me on weekends. In the photo below I did (2) ~8# pork butts, no problem. One load of charcoal. It fed 6 adults and 4 kids, with a few pounds of leftovers! I find the temp control is EASIER to manage on my 14.5" version than 22".

You can get a lot of food on that little cooker. I didn't know anyone still use water in the water pan on any of the WSM. lol

I sure like my 14.5. Great cooker. I've had it about a year now. Sadly... the 18.5 WSM isn't seeing much action these days because the 14.5 handles most chores regards cooking for 2.
I've never used water in it. Have smoked bacon at 160* all the way to high heat chicken at 375* & everything else in between. It's badass!!!

What's the difference in charcoal usage between the 14.5" and 18.5" smokers?

Could that be a deal breaker / maker?

It does lower temps, causing more fuel use. Plus harder to clean up the pan. Heck I use mine without any pan or deflector...just let the drippings hit the fire.

The 18.5 is thrifty, but the 14.5 is a really thrifty.

Last edited:
Let me tell you why I like my 14.5.--Very economical with charcoal. I also have a 18.5 and a 22.5. For most cooks, there is just the two of us and the 14.5 is the perfect size. Also, try getting the 18.5 or 22.5 grates into the kitchen sink to scrub. It just don't work for me!!! Thats why my 14.5 grate looks still close to new. Portability, I can stick it easily in a car or the rv and pull it when I reach my destination and easily cook for at least 6 people. I'm sure it would work for more people, but thats the most i have cooked for so far. Footprint, it goes hand in hand with portability, but compared to my 18.5 and 22.5, it takes up no space at all and the cooks I get from it are the same as I get on the bigger WSM's. Build, typical Weber quality. It should last a very long time as the quality is equal to the other WSM's. No gasket needed, after 2 or 3 cooks, it sealed up great and is very easy to control temps. If you buy one, you will really like the way it cooks for you. My mini was close, but my son now has it and enjoys it.

Back