Is it worth getting a membership to Costco or Sam's just for the meat?

To me, Sam's is just "Walmart XL".

I used to live 20 minutes from Costco and loved it. Everyone seemed happy and helpful and they get paid really well.

Where I live now, Costco is a 45 minute drive.
I have a plus membership to Sam's.
I like it, but it is certainly not Costco.

Just got a prime 17lb brisket at Sam's for $3.29/lb. today. I'll be appreciating my membership when I cook it next weekend.

Just got a prime 17lb brisket at Sam's for $3.29/lb. today. I'll be appreciating my membership when I cook it next weekend.
Same price I saw at Costco this week for Primes, and the same price for their pork belly.
I went there mainly for dog food, but walked away with a $125 receipt.

I seem to have the same kind of experience when I go in for $12.00 worth of anything! I end up with and extra hundred dollars of things I wasn’t looking for!

It is impossible to go to Costco and not drop a $100. Having said that they are where I source all my meat.

Was at Sam's yesterday and priced these Bush's Beans sold in an 8 pak, $1.13 per can. I bought these at my grocery store for 71 cents a can last week. Same 16 oz can.

The caveat here, is my grocery store is a very successful local chain, they have four or five locations. And they've built their business advertising " rock bottom prices " . They compete with or beat Walmart on pricing, consistently. How they do it, IDK.

But still, the price diff here is large

BOh0Qc7.jpg

Sometimes, the deal is good sometimes, not! It does pay to be diligent and watch for the deals at local places! My local “regional” grocery store,(D&W) has excellent deals on fish and far superior to what I’ve gotten at Costco. It pays to look around.
I was there for a bottle of vodka and coffee (no, not to have at the same time!) sold some guy two different sausages, and pitched the TVWBB site along with selling on getting a WSM!
I got the two things I went in for but, the croissants, batteries, and all the other impulse stuff racked up over $125.00!

Last edited:

Back