Is Home Depot discontinuing Weber??

Mitch

TVWBB Member
My two local Home Depot's have very little Weber products lately. They now have a full line of Charmglow. I am not able to get a straight answer from the sales people on why there aren't many Webers around.

It is an invasion of shiny and cheap. I learn to appreciate Weber more everyday I use it. Most consumers do not buy for the long haul.

Mitch,

My cousin and I were at two home depots Tuesday night he was looking for a new 302 stainless with the side burners. They had zero new Webers just two of last years marked down to $299.00. The lawn and garden guys had no idea what we were asking for.
On the other hand have you been to ACE Hardware latley? Wow mine has two WSM's All types of kettles and at lest 10-15 brand new gassers. Not to mention the pricing is right in line with everyone else.
Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch:
My two local Home Depot's have very little Weber products lately. They now have a full line of Charmglow. I am not able to get a straight answer from the sales people on why there aren't many Webers around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mitch, I have had a similar experience. (one seams to be better than the other) The answer I got was that they stock up for spring and early summer, and after that ..... (I sensed I was getting lip service) I am still waiting for the spring shipments.

I too have found Ace to be a more reliable source for weber accessories.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

For what it's worth, Webers are listed on homedepot.com, and Weber still shows Home Depot as a reseller on weber.com.

Regards,
Chris

My guess is in winter they stock up with seasonal items that are more commonly sold at that time of year. Conversely, in summer it is hard to find snow blowers or snow shovels, even here in Wisconsin. Many of us are hard-core users who never stop using Weber products, but the majority of people view grilling as a summer thing. Let's get out there and convert those grilling heathens.

I work at Lowe's. My store has one Weber Kettle and one Gasser.

My opinion is that we the people are better off with the big boxes not carrying a full line of Weber products.

Once a vendor gets in bed with large supplier like HD or Lowe's and the "onion squeezing" begins, it can realy have a negative affect on the quality of the products that they are so well known for.

Weber has probably been approched with deals for exclusive dealership contracts before and refused them or told the supplier where to get off.

ACE has many webers!! preformer, spirit, one touch, smokey joe.....alas, home depot just had last year's left over

Our local Home Despot and Lowes now carry almost no Weber products. I have pretty much discontinued shopping at HD. I can find anything that I need at other smaller stores where I do not have to wander around a big box with employees who know next to nothing about the products that they sell.

I spoke with a guy in my local Lowes who's very knowledgeable about grills (been at the store a long time) about Weber products. He said he was very surprised they got so few Weber products in this year. His quote was "I don't know why we don't have much Weber this year, it doesn't make sense. Everything we have that says Weber on it sells, we should carry more".

Michael

In the "grilling section" I've seen several references to "Weber spottings" at Walmart. That could well explain the actions or inactions at HD/Lowes ?

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
It is an invasion of shiny and cheap. I learn to appreciate Weber more everyday I use it. Most consumers do not buy for the long haul. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm living proof. I owned 2-3 "cheap" gassers, all of which fell apart (literally) within 2-3 years of moderate-to-heavy use. One was a Fiesta, the other was probably a Char-Broil. When the 2nd grill's burners were rotted through, I decided enough was enough, and went out and bought a Genesis Silver B. Best $400'ish I ever spent. Now it sits next to an 18" Weber kettle and the WSM.

I'm lucky enough to have an Ace closer to me than an HD. I ended up getting my S-310 for the same price as everyone else sells it for. They had to order it, but I ordered on a Monday and it cam on Wednesday. They gave me a free, filled tank too. I think my problem in the past was patience...I wanted the grill I wanted, right there. There wasn't much in the way of reviews, so the differences of the cheap ones vs the expensive ones where not as obvious. I'm super glad I bought the Weber. It's a solid unit.

Man things sure changed since last year,Lowes and HD don`t have the inventory now like they did last year..

Ace is the place
icon_smile.gif

I was at Lowe's today and all they had in Weber was a small $200+ gas grill which I've never seen before. I made a point of asking "Where are the Webers?" The reply was that poor ol' Weber just couldn't keep up with the competition. Can you beat that? Lots of stainless steel there. Oh, that's too bad, sez I, I was looking for a quality product. Guess I'll have to buy quality elsewhere.

Rita

I've noticed the same trend-Ace has the best supply in the smallest of space, HD,Lowes and Walmart carry the crap. But if you go to the Weber site for parts you get shuffled off to the local retailer site. Here is the kicker my local HD stocks a bunch of 18.5" One-Touch Silvers, but no 18.5"cooking grates. The availability of parts locally from the big boxes is frustrating!

Next time I go to HD or Lowes I`ll take a magnet just for fun to see how much SS is really good SS(stainless steel)
I know that when I was in the metal business we used alot of food grade 304 or 316L for our stuff and Times we would get China SS and have to reject it...Wish my plant was still in business I could do a test sample which would tell you what you have and give metal content.

icon_biggrin.gif

That shinny stuff looks great in the store though..

Walmart in CT had a weber gas grill and the Smokey Joe today when I was there picking up a couple pairs of the $1.94 grill tongs!

Home Depot only had some flavorizer bars, covers, grill brushes and some replacement grates. All leftovers from what I could tell.

Just shopped the Walmart Supercenter and Lowes in Gilroy, CA, about 20 miles from my home. Lowes is only carrying the Weber Spirit E210, the entry-level 2-burner job, plus the 22-1/2" kettle. This matches what's on the Lowes website. Everything else was Jenn-Air, CharBroil, Perfect Flame, and Brinkmann.

I asked the department manager why no Weber, and he said he didn't know, they just didn't send him any this year.

At Walmart, I didn't see a single Weber grill.

I wonder if Weber had some problems with the transition to the new product line and couldn't deliver in time for these stores. They must have ordered last fall for this spring. No info to backup this thought, just wondering.

homedepot.com has what looks like most Weber and Ducane grills on their site, so maybe they'll start showing up in stores. They even show the Ranch Kettle, but alas, no WSM. That seems totally backwards to me!
icon_frown.gif

Regards,
Chris

The Walmarts here in indy and more specifically the one by my house has the One-Touch Kettles, and a whole host of weber gas grills. They have never carried them before.

Tony

Back