Is anyone using this Costco barbecue rub?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
My friend Eric S who lives near Portland/Vancouver says he's using this Costco rub, "pretty good" he sez. Anyone else using it?

"Same great seasoning used on pork ribs in Costco service deli."

7rIUwnU.jpg

Our Costco doesn't open for another 2 weeks. Currently if I don't make my own I use the Weber rubs. Honestly they're really good and worth the cost and not needing to make my own

I make my own rubs..... usually, but picked up a large container of Weber's regular rub, really like it, but I may get a some of the Costco rub and give it a try. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age.

I was curious about the ingredients.
Large type due to copying, I'm not shouting. :p

'SALT, SUGAR, SPICES (INCLUDING BLACK PEPPER AND CHILI PEPPER), DEHYDRATED VEGETABLES (RED BELL PEPPER, GARLIC, ONION), SAFFLOWER OIL, SILICON DIOXIDE (ANTI-CAKING), CITRIC ACID.'

costco-769689-flavor-connections-rib-rub-seasoning-chart.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good or at least not like a chemistry lab report. Sodium isn't to bad although that's just for a 1/4 Tsp. Think I'll give it a try.

I was contemplating give this a try (heading to Costco next week,) until Bob posted up the ingredients. I generally try to avoid any spice mixture that has salt as the major ingredient. Personally, whenever I've used something like that, mostly what I get is saltiness, and less of the flavors that I'm really interested in. Shoot, my standard brisket rub is a 60/40 coarse black pepper and salt, and I may still drop the salt lower.

I agree with what your saying. I've been on a salt restricted diet for many years. I regulate my sodium intake by using only fresh ingredients, no processed foods, no eating out and using mostly fresh herbs and spices for seasoning. The USDA standard for a healthy person is 2300mg max, I keep mine down below 1500mg. This has helped me keep my BP low.
But and I say but there are times when I will exceed my goal, if I know in advance I'm going to increase my sodium intake to make something special I will make up for the increase by decreasing my sodium intake prior to that event and after, such as using a salty rub or whatever. Moderation is key in my use of salt, but you got to live a little too.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic.

Last edited:
I will pay big bucks to any of you that can grill something using just 1/4 tsp. of spice blend. (just joking about the big bucks. lol)

I learned to cook low sodium at home when my mother was diagnosed with hypertension. For the most part, I really don't miss the salt. As a Type IID (more of a Type I,) diabetic, keeping a lower blood pressure is a good idea....

- - - Updated - - -

I will pay big bucks to any of you that can grill something using just 1/4 tsp. of spice blend. (just joking about the big bucks. lol)

That's one of the dirty little secrets of restaurant cooking..... overseason.....

Right up my alley. Todays food,(to me at least) taste so bland without a lot of seasoning.

I agree with what your saying. I've been on a salt restricted diet for many years. I regulate my sodium intake by using only fresh ingredients, no processed foods, no eating out and using mostly fresh herbs and spices for seasoning. The USDA standard for a healthy person is 2300mg max, I keep mine down below 1500mg. This has helped me keep my BP low.
But and I say but there are times when I will exceed my goal, if I know in advance I'm going to increase my sodium intake to make something special I will make up for the increase by decreasing my sodium intake prior to that event and after, such as using a salty rub or whatever. Moderation is key in my use of salt, but you got to live a little too.

I try to do the same (little to none processed food, avoid restaurants, etc) even though I have good BP. I think mine is 120/70. Could you help your BP if you eat a lot of sodium by drinking more water?

Back