Interesting Article on Fat Caps from AmazingRibs.com

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_fat_caps.html

Per the article, the fat cap cannot penetrate the muscle because the moisture in muscle is mostly water and the moisture in fat is an oil. And oil and water don't mix as we all know.

Take it for what it's worth. I can't say I've done enough testing to give an accurate opinion myself.

I've yet to trim a brisket fat cap, but it sounds like I should give that a shot the next time I make one.

It all makes sense to me. Although I dont think I ever really thought the fat cap melted into the meat. I always do fat cap down. I figured the fat cap was more of an insulator to keep from losing too much fluid.

On a vertical smoker such as a WSM, cooking with the fat cap down helps insulate the meat from the fire below even if there is a heat sink such as a water pan.

I agree with th article and fat cap down for brisket. I trim most if not all the fat from a butt so I get more bark.

I trim it all, and save the fat for when I grind up meat for ground meat........doesn't make it any worse in my experience, no more than trimming fat off of ribs............................d

It all makes sense to me. Although I dont think I ever really thought the fat cap melted into the meat. I always do fat cap down. I figured the fat cap was more of an insulator to keep from losing too much fluid.

This.

I've always been skeptical that rendering fat 'bastes' the meat it's attached to. But it DOES make a good insulator from your heat source. Personally I cut it off on butts but I keep it on briskys to insulate it from drying out.

I agree wholeheartedly :)

Leaving a small fat layer while smoking any meat helps to prevent drying while cooking. This is not a small thing .... It's how we are able to smoke rather fatty, inexpensive, cuts of meat and turn them into candy ;-)

i leave about a 1/4 in of fat on. i cook it up on my weber kettle. i don't care if the fat "melts" or not.
i just like a bit of fat on my slices, thats it. i cook what i like and the way i like and rarely listen to much more.
i do like to learn but that doesn't mean it will change me much.

Back