Instant Pot [or similar] Hard Boiled Eggs

I do HB eggs in my stove top pressure cooker all the time. They come out great. Technically steamed though not boiled. Cool thing is they peel perfectly. You can many times get the shell off in one piece

They only take 5 minutes in a regular pot. Why pressure cook them? It probably takes longer to get the pressure cooker up to pressure.

What kind of HB eggs do you get in 5 min? Beside the big advantage is how easy they peel

What kind of HB eggs do you get in 5 min? Beside the big advantage is how easy they peel
The kind where the yoke is hard. I do 3.5 minutes for soft. 5 for hard. Timed after water is boiling. Egg goes in from the start. A little bit of baking soda in the water and the eggs peal fine.

I have tried the baking soda trick. MEH kinda works but not so great. Pressure cooker? The best. OK 3.5 that way is like 12 the way I do them

Wife was doing jumbo eggs in the IP, but now does them in the air fryer.
The AF sits out and it's quicker and easier. In ours she cooks 6 cold jumbos for 20 minutes at 250F, then into ice water. Most all peel very easily.

The AF sits out and it's quicker and easier. In ours she cooks 6 cold jumbos for 20 minutes at 250F, then into ice water. Most all peel very easily.
Interesting. But then they are technically not hard "boiled". I would think they are hard roasted.

We do a very large batch of eggs every Sunday for the week - 18 eggs. We do the 5-5-5 method in our Instant Pot. Works very well and eggs pretty well fall out of the shell.

Wife does a batch every week, following the trip to the egg farm. All turn out just perfect. Very uniform and consistant.
Using a Zavor 8qt LUX LCD Multicooker

The term should be hard cooked.
Thank you Bob! You are absolutely correct, Julia Child would be proud of you. Everyone just gives the “Deer in headlights” look when I call them that.
I use the Jacques Pépin method, steam, ice water, swirl, peel.
They are always just perfectly firmed centers!

I've also taken to doing the steaming method, an inch of water in the bottom of a small saucepan, bring to a boil, add steamer basket with 4-6 eggs, lid on, steam for 12 minutes to get a just fully set yolk. Chill immediately in an ice water bath or a slow trickle of cold water from the kitchen tap. I need to keep reminding myself to let the eggs get completely chilled so that the white is fully set.

I just did this and loved the results!

Back