Indoor Turkey Chili Cook

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
No outdoor cookers nor Weber slow cooker on this one. We bought a new range and I experimented with convection cooking on a 15 lb. 1 year old bird that was consuming too much space.

Rubbed with some EVOO and Lawry's Chicken & Poultry Rub:
turkey chili 1.jpg

She finished in an impressive 2 hrs 5 min at 350:
turkey chili 2.jpg

I couldn't resist the urge to taste test a bite from a leg. And one bite turned into many bites. She made a nice pot of approximately 5 quarts, I estimate. It will serve several decent, simple meals over the next couple months:
turkey chili 3.jpg

Last edited:
how's the new range? which one did you decide on? good looking bird there. i hope the chili is as good or better.
We went with this one, for $1,449 from Lowe's:
https://www.geappliances.com/applia...stant-Range-with-No-Preheat-Air-Fry-PSS93YPFS

I had two strong interests: a 12" burner and a convection oven (though I've never used one). The absence of a rear control panel means I need to mod our backsplash but that isn't the fault of our new range. I did mistakenly toggle a control button last night while making dinner but hopefully I'll adjust well to the front controls. I didn't need an air fryer nor a proofing option but they are added bonuses, I suppose. I do enjoy baking bread occasionally but I have a B&T proofer, though perhaps that option will be convenient.

We're pleased with it thus far. My gripe will seem absurd but I dislike the timer alert; there's an option for a single end-of-cycle alert (~2 seconds) or a continuous alert. And by continuous I mean continuous. I could easily miss the single-alert option but there are times when I'm posting on here, lol, or working "salaried overtime" in my upstairs office and will want to tend to a non-critical oven-cooked item in a few minutes. Our old range would give three short beeps every minute. I wish I could get that back.

The dark meat that I sampled was incredibly tasteful; the first-day tasting of my chili was not my all-time favorite but we'll have it again this weekend before freezing it, so it may taste better after the second warmup or a tweak.

Thanks for asking!

Warning: this thread or a new one may lead into a desired discussion on canning and--more specifically-the All American 921, lol.

Pop-Pop Fletch,

This looks outstanding. Can you give more details on the chili? Asking for a friend 😀
Thanks so much.

This was my base: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/turkey_chili/

But I often mod it for varying reasons, this time in part because I made a large batch that may be shared with other family members and some are more picky than others. I used only a tad of garlic powder in lieu of cloves, omitted the bell pepper and I used French's Chil-O Seasoning mix (but still added a tad more cumin). I also added some tomato sauce (more than intended). Finally, I used partial cans of dark and light kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans.

Everything looks great! Your roasting pan caught my eye as I'm on the lookout for a new one.
Is this it?
Thanks so much, Timothy. Yes, that is the one I have. I paid $39.99 and it looks like there might be recent price variances if you don't need one right now and want to save a little money.

I use it regularly (actually I have a second one dedicated for smoking because it is cumbersome to remove the smoke stains). But the pan is easy to clean on the one I dedicated for indoor use (the rack, not so easy lol).

I used it last night for cornish hens and vegetables.

1703970423801.png

Nice range and the bird looks great. We are starting to look for a new gas range also. Our existing oven has convection, but I think I've used it only once.
Also, that chili looks amazing. Like your upgrades also.

We went with this one, for $1,449 from Lowe's:
https://www.geappliances.com/applia...stant-Range-with-No-Preheat-Air-Fry-PSS93YPFS

I had two strong interests: a 12" burner and a convection oven (though I've never used one). The absence of a rear control panel means I need to mod our backsplash but that isn't the fault of our new range. I did mistakenly toggle a control button last night while making dinner but hopefully I'll adjust well to the front controls. I didn't need an air fryer nor a proofing option but they are added bonuses, I suppose. I do enjoy baking bread occasionally but I have a B&T proofer, though perhaps that option will be convenient.

We're pleased with it thus far. My gripe will seem absurd but I dislike the timer alert; there's an option for a single end-of-cycle alert (~2 seconds) or a continuous alert. And by continuous I mean continuous. I could easily miss the single-alert option but there are times when I'm posting on here, lol, or working "salaried overtime" in my upstairs office and will want to tend to a non-critical oven-cooked item in a few minutes. Our old range would give three short beeps every minute. I wish I could get that back.

The dark meat that I sampled was incredibly tasteful; the first-day tasting of my chili was not my all-time favorite but we'll have it again this weekend before freezing it, so it may taste better after the second warmup or a tweak.

Thanks for asking!
Really nice range you picked up. That’s a lot of features for that price point too. Convection is great. I’ve really enjoyed cooking with convection for the past 24 years. It really helps make evenly cooked food like birds and roasts. And they main crispy fries and other potato dishes too.

I’ve never cooked on convection. I’d be curious to hear your feedback. My next range is dual fuel; NG on top burners and electric convection oven.

I’m guessing the WiFi connection will notify you when timers and such are done? Have you looked at those features yet?

Enjoy your new range. Looks like it’ll do just about everything and do it well too.

Back