Inaugural Smoke (Pic Heavy)

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Last week I bought the 14.5" WSM. I had also bought some pork shoulders. I decided to give it a whirl this weekend. I have never had a smoker before, so this is the first time playing with one. Here is the 8.5 lb pork shoulder

I trimmed it up some

Then I slathered it with some yellow mustard

I made up my own spice rub and rubbed it all over the shoulder and let it sit overnight

I woke up around 0600 to get this thing started. I tried doing the minion method, but I accidentally lit too many coals, so it didn't work so well. I got the coals going and put the WSM together and started bringing it up to temp

Once it hit the 220 mark, I threw the shoulder on around 0655.

It was cold and windy, so I found some scrap plywood and made a little makeshift wind break using my grills.

Things were going along great for the first two hours and then it happened. The temps dropped on me. I opened all of the air vents completely to try to bring the temp up, but it was not working. I played around for a while with no luck. I checked the charcoal and it seemed to be cooking along just fine. At the 4 hour mark, I needed to add some more charcoal. I took my mini chimney and lit up some charcoal in my kettle. I walked away for a bit to get some cleaning done and when I came back, I had a mess on my hands. The wind had knocked over my kettle along with all the hot coals all over my patio. I grabbed a couple of the coals and threw them back in the chimney along with some fresh ones. I was able to get them all burning. I threw them into the WSM. I was able to get the temps back up to around 235. Around the 5 hour mark, the temps had dropped again. I thought maybe there was too much ash in the bottom of the WSM, so I took it apart and cleaned the ashes out of the bottom. This is already a long post, so I won't go into more detail, but I never was able to get the temp back up to 235. It was around the 10 hour mark, the temps dropped quite drastically. It was at this point I decided to bring the pork inside and finish in the oven.

I brought it in, wrapped it in foil and threw it in the 250 degree oven.

It was at this point that I knew this was not going to be done in time for dinner. Off I went to go pick up some Mexican food. I left it in the oven for another 2 hours. It finally came up to about 185. I pulled it out and let it rest for 30 minutes before pulling.

All in all it was a good experience. I kind of figured it was going to be a hard day due to the wind, but I went ahead and tried my best. I figure I might as well get a hard cook out of the way first, so the rest of them will be easy from here on out. I hope at least. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for looking!

frustrating cookin' outside at times, ain't it Chuck?!

your pulled pork looks Great despite the toil you endured...

How much charcoal does the ring hold in the 14.5? I smoked the other day when it was about 15 degrees with winds about 25 with gusts up to 40 and didn't have any problem keeping my temp up on my 22.5. Just seems you had something else going on that you couldn't get it to stay up very long.

Pork does still look great though. Keep plugging along and you will be a pro in no time on it.

Glad you did not have more of a problem with the blown over coals. Snow probably saved you from a bigger mess.

Ray

Chuck you certainly have more patience then me I would not have endured as you did. You did save the day though and the pork looks great!

Chuck, that for sure will go down as a first cook to remember!
I have both a WSM 22.5 (Cheech) and a 14.5 (Chong). For a long cook like a butt where you may need 13 plus hours, you may have to keep reloading to keep those temps steady. Print off the cook chart and start keeping track of when you have to do what and use for future cooks. A brisket may be better where you are in a 9-10 hour smoke.
Did you have a small coffee can for the minion start?
Do you have a fire extinguisher out by your grills? I do not.....but after this story of yours I'll be picking one up today..... so your troubles are not in vain Thank You for that!!!
I do all my long (midnight) smokes in my 22.5. I use the 14.5 exclusively for Baby Backs and shorter smokes like Bacon.
All in all the results you had look tasty, and thanks so much for putting this post out there as for sure you have helped many.
Have any other members smoked a butt in there new 14.5 yet?

The trials and tribulations of cooking in the winter winds causes all of us brave souls issues at times. You did smart bringing it in like you did. One thing I would say to you is don't pull it by temp, only pull it from whatever your cooking in when the skewer goes right in easy and the bone (if there is one) breaks away easy from the meat.
Your next one will be easier for sure.
It does look like it came out good

Next cook will go better Chuck! Looks great. Been windy here the last few days 35 mph+. I cook inside on those days, mostly heating up leftovers from past cooks/smokes I've put in the freezer/fridge. I use FoodSaver bags and plastic canisters. Leftovers currently...around 3/4 lbs. of PP from a late summer smoke.

There is a basic difference between you and me. I would never attempt a smoke in that weather. Which makes me a fair weather smoker vs dedicated. Great job!!

Ain't nuthin' wrong with finishing in the oven. After that amount of time, and looking at your bark, that butt had taken on all the smoke it was going to. The oven just ran the final leg of the relay. Good lookin, and I'm sure tasting, pulled pork. And yeah, it can only get easier from here. lol

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement! I knew I probably should have cancelled the smoke due to the weather, but like I said it could only get better from here. I was determined to get it done so that my wife didn't give me cr@p about it. She still kind of is, but not as bad as she would if I had failed completely. LOL! Next time I will have to keep a log and watch when the temps start dropping. I will have more coals lit and ready to go. The 14.5" will max out at 110 briquettes. I can see how you guys get a lot longer smoke times with the 18.5 and 22.5. Bigger unit, more fuel, longer smoke times. I bought the 14.5 because my wife is not a fan of smoked foods, so I figured this was the perfect size to cook things for myself. Oh well! I have another shoulder in the freezer waiting for my next smoke out. I hope to have better news for you guys then. Thanks again everyone!!!

Back