In need of a Summit gas grill valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Than why not use the junk on the Genesis, lower the price point, increase the profit margin and make the Summit the premium product they've been charging for?
How many Summits were sold compared to Genesis? I’m sure it was just a numbers game.

I wonder what the production numbers were on these, I see a lot on marketplace, just it close to me😂
Speaking of production numbers… how many Vieluxe did they make?

I would say they probably made about 1 summit to 5 Genesis and Vieluxe is probably about 1 to 20 Genesis. That is just my guess however. I could be wildly wrong.

The upper end grills just don't fall within most peoples budgets.

Last edited:
I believe the reason Weber went with the porcelain plated steel in the firebox of the Summit was to make the grease flow more readily into the drip tray. The Genesis did this in part by having the large pull out drip tray made from porcelain plated steel. However, the cast aluminum firebox bottom on the Genesis can, in fact, be a grease catcher. It is a place where grease fires and bowed fireboxes get their start.

I would bet the Summit porcelain steel bottom works a lot better for as long as it lasts. I guess Weber figured that people who can buy Summits would be ready for a new grill by the time the porcelain steel started rusting through. I don’t agree with that line of reason, but it is my best explanation.

As I give it more thought, with Weber’s history of porcelain coated steel for so many years with Kettles, they just thought that it would be durable.

As I give it more thought, with Weber’s history of porcelain coated steel for so many years with Kettles, they just thought that it would be durable.
The issue with it is the openings. The steel expands and contracts in ways there the porcelain cannot follow and so it begins to "stress crack". I saw this on my own. The coating looked like fine spider webbing. Eventually these minute cracks allow corrosive juices in there and little by little you have an issue. The rear portion doesn't do it because there are no openings causing irregular stress fissures

The issue with it is the openings. The steel expands and contracts in ways there the porcelain cannot follow and so it begins to "stress crack". I saw this on my own. The coating looked like fine spider webbing. Eventually these minute cracks allow corrosive juices in there and little by little you have an issue. The rear portion doesn't do it because there are no openings causing irregular stress fissures
I totally agree with that, Larry. All three generations of Summits do exactly that. They at least should have made heat shields from stainless around those holes. I hope one of us can come up with a replicable way to do that at least for generations 1 and 2.

Oh?

Attachments

• 3870F424-9F2A-49ED-9821-916A9B6A2B83.jpeg
    3870F424-9F2A-49ED-9821-916A9B6A2B83.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, Bill, I guess if the conditions are unfavorable enough even the back panel can fail. I would be tempted to blame that on a grease fire or a failing, runaway burner.

Actually the Vieluxe came out a little before the 1st generation Summit and are way more closely related to it than to the 2nd generation Summit. IMO the 1st gen Summit was the pinnacle. It's why I bought one. I looked at the "new" ones at the time. Felt them made very cheaply and went for the "old" one

Actually the Vieluxe came out a little before the 1st generation Summit and are way more closely related to it than to the 2nd generation Summit. IMO the 1st gen Summit was the pinnacle. It's why I bought one. I looked at the "new" ones at the time. Felt them made very cheaply and went for the "old" one
I thought Vieluxe grills were made from 2003-2006? Did the 1st generation Summit have a stainless steel cabinet?

I thought Vieluxe grills were made from 2003-2006? Did the 1st generation Summit have a stainless steel cabinet?
No the Summit did not have SS cabinet. Could be I got the chicken and the egg wrong :D but for sure the Summit 1st gen was WAY more related to the Vieluxe than the 2nd gen. I got my Summit on a closeout sale when the 2nd gens had come out. So by this time Vieluxe already existed and were sitting alongside. I looked at the "new" compared it to the "old" and said gimmer the old. Difference in quality from the 1st to 2nd gen was night and day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back