If you refill your propane tanks at Tractor Supply..

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
Be sure to download their app onto your smartphone. After you install it, click on it and do a search and you'll find a link where you can request a propane tank refill at your local store.

Nice thing about this is you can request a refill right when you arrive at the store and don't have to go inside and ask one of the cashiers. You can sit in the car and wait until one of the employees arrives at the refill site.

I tried this the last time I refilled one of my tanks and it worked like a charm.

Nice, thanks for the suggestion. Does TSC actually fill them there (20lbs) or do they just do the tank exchange (15lbs)?

Charlie

The TSC here does not fill them, I go to the Ferrellgas place, name on tag, put them in the cage, come back the next day or so, Bob’s your uncle! Least expensive place I know! Last time I think two tanks cost me something like $23.00!

My TSC refills them and only charges for the propane drawn (like filling your tank at the gas station). They don't charge a flat fee per tank.

So my refills now are much cheaper and more convenient. I can now switch/refill tanks once they get below 1/4 or 1/8. No more trying to get the tank as close to 0% any more.
Same here. And the app makes it even more convenient since you don't have to go inside the store and get the attention of a cashier and tell them you need to have a tank refilled.

I've been paying the $20 exchange rate at HD. A buck a pound seems high but it is convenient and close by.

My TSC refills them and only charges for the propane drawn (like filling your tank at the gas station). They don't charge a flat fee per tank.

So my refills now are much cheaper and more convenient. I can now switch/refill tanks once they get below 1/4 or 1/8. No more trying to get the tank as close to 0% any more.
BJ's wholesale club does the same

None of the TSC stores around me do propane but I do have a U-Haul rental place that charges by the gallon. So much cheaper than doing the exchange thing.

I've been paying the $20 exchange rate at HD. A buck a pound seems high but it is convenient and close by.
Unfortunately, it’s probably more than a buck a pound. I don’t know of any place that exchanges that fills the tank to its max. Usually it’s something like 15 pounds.

From the Blue Rhino web site:
How much propane does Blue Rhino put in its tanks?
Inflationary pressures, including the volatile costs of steel, diesel fuel, and propane, have had a significant impact on the cylinder exchange industry. In 2008, to help control these rising costs, Blue Rhino followed the example of other consumer products companies with a product content change. We reduced the amount of propane in our tanks from 17 pounds to 15 pounds.

The next worse option is to pay a flat fee. Fortunately, I’m okay with that because I use two tanks. When my grill gets low, I shift that tank over to my fire pit and run it down all the way and put the full one on my grill. I’d like one that charges by the pound but the one closest to me doesn’t do that and I’m not going to spend any effort on it given that I have two tanks.

Unfortunately, it’s probably more than a buck a pound. I don’t know of any place that exchanges that fills the tank to its max. Usually it’s something like 15 pounds.

Inflationary pressures, including the volatile costs of steel, diesel fuel, and propane, have had a significant impact on the cylinder exchange industry. In 2008, to help control these rising costs, Blue Rhino followed the example of other consumer products companies with a product content change. We reduced the amount of propane in our tanks from 17 pounds to 15 pounds.

The next worse option is to pay a flat fee. Fortunately, I’m okay with that because I use two tanks. When my grill gets low, I shift that tank over to my fire pit and run it down all the way and put the full one on my grill. I’d like one that charges by the pound but the one closest to me doesn’t do that and I’m not going to spend any effort on it given that I have two tanks.
Thanks for the info Jerry, I appreciate it.
My local HD has the Blue Rhino and a few years ago, just out of curiosity, I weighed an exchange cylinder and it weighed 38 lbs. I haven't questioned it since but I will now. I have an empty cylinder to exchange tomorrow. I'll post my findings here. Again, many thanks for the info. 👍

Hey Jerry, and all,
I finally got to HD and exchanged my empty cylinder. Got it home and weighed it and sure enough it only weighed 32 lbs. So, I only got 14 lbs in a 20 lb tank. Paid $19.47 for the exchange. Your info above was spot on my friend. Many thanks.

I've alternated between refilling and exchanging for years now. When I started grilling the propane tanks had a quick connect on them and I used to have them refilled, I alternated between two tanks. Somewhere around the ten or fifteen year mark they wouldn't refill them anymore and I had to buy a new tank and of course, a new regulator for my grill. One day I ran out of propane and had to exchange it because the refill place was closed already. It sucked because I exchanged a tank in great condition for a really beat up one. I continued to exchange that tank until finally, one day, I exchanged it for a brand new one. Now I refill them exclusively. I always hated having that beat up exchange tank hanging off the grill. Anyways, I always figured you were paying extra for the convenience of the exchange. These posts pretty much prove that.

I too get my tanks refilled at TSC. Much cheaper than trading in tanks.
2 things to keep in mind.
1. If you suspect anything wrong with the tank or valve, trade it in. Make sure it's still within date.
2. Some of the young guns working at TSC don't have a clue. I had one overfilled and when I opened my trunk at home I could smell it. I was lucky no sparks. I took it to the end of my property so if it blew it would be away from the house. The safety relief worked. The guy had filled it completely full instead of the 15# max allowed in a 20# tank.

Good to go other than keeping a watchful eye on the refill process.

Hmmm. I just assumed that filled to 20 lbs there was a 10-20% of volume blanket on top for expansion. To me it is not a 20 lb tank if you cannot fill it to 20 lbs.

Wait a minute. Back the truck up.
I know I have had a cylinder refilled that weighed 38 lbs with no problems.

Hmmm. I just assumed that filled to 20 lbs there was a 10-20% of volume blanket on top for expansion. To me it is not a 20 lb tank if you cannot fill it to 20 lbs.

Wait a minute. Back the truck up.
I know I have had a cylinder refilled that weighed 38 lbs with no problems.
20lbs is the weight of the propane, not the propane and the tank together.

Back