Ideas for a Vegan main course?

I want to invite some friends over for a BBQ, but they're a mixed family: he's an omnivore who loves grilled meat, while his wife is a tolerant vegan (which, in my experience, is pretty rare.) Their teenage daughter is flexible — how she identifies depends upon what's on the menu!

It's no problem figuring out what to make him, but I confess to not knowing much about vegan food; what would be an interesting vegan main dish that I can cook on the grill? (I'm used to doing grilled veggies as side dishes, but I want to make her something special.)

Suggestions for this truly clueless meat eater?

I made Bobby Flays grilled ratatouille a few times and it’s really amazing! I am the last person on earth in the “Eggplant is good” camp but, this was very nice. Have not made it in a long time but, I’m sure it’s YouTube available.

Grilled tomato garlic soup with basil (or not) is a nice first course.
Roma tomatoes (or whatever the best you can get) garlic cloves peeled, quarter the tomatoes (or smaller depending on size and variety) 8-10 cloves of garlic, foil lined rimmed sheet pan, salt pepper drizzle with EVOO pop it on the grill until the tomatoes get a little “Toasty” then, into the blender or Cuisinart and add basil if you wish. Serve hot or cold! All measurements are at the whim of the cook!

Last edited:
you can do a lot. pasta with roasted veggies, toasted bread rubbed with evoo and fresh garlic served with roasted veggies or a veggie stew, falafel with roasted red pepper humus.

here's a place to inspire your mind: https://www.themediterraneandish.com/recipes/

think vegan cooking as high flavor, fresh ingredients, without animal products. it's pretty simple.

Portobello mushrooms and halloumi cheese both grill well if that is your theme.
I think you are better off removing the gills inside the mushroom.......it's been a while but I think if you leave them the shrooms go south pretty quick.

Then make a bacon onion relish but then just say it is onion......the taste will be so good they wouldn't be able to question it.......

Back