Idea for Soaking Grates

My fairly new SNS SS Grate(2nd photo on-the-right) cleaned-up nicely with the over-night soak,however,the other much dirtier and most often used for a couple of years SNS SS Grate needs a “Bartender’s Friend” treatment.

Based on this trial-run I now will be soaking my grate over-night after each grilling session as being retired I have the time and energy and produced a good result depending on how dirty is the grate.

Also, I only grill around four(4) times a month and now have more interest in using more often my “Cajun Bandit Rotisserie “ in which clean-up is a breeze as it does not require using the grate!

To sum-up; purchasing the “soak tub” was a good investment:)

Attachments

• 6781BFF4-9EF5-49B9-A543-39974EE9399F.jpeg
    6781BFF4-9EF5-49B9-A543-39974EE9399F.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 18
  • E218FD42-0BC4-4C79-B155-A9E1D3EA617E.jpeg
    E218FD42-0BC4-4C79-B155-A9E1D3EA617E.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 83ACB389-85AF-4F4F-B1FB-5367843AA3D9.jpeg
    83ACB389-85AF-4F4F-B1FB-5367843AA3D9.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 34909711-076B-4155-8600-043C8F973345.jpeg
    34909711-076B-4155-8600-043C8F973345.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
My fairly new SNS SS Grate(2nd photo on-the-right) cleaned-up nicely with the over-night soak,however,the other much dirtier and most often used for a couple of years SNS SS Grate needs a “Bartender’s Friend” treatment.

Based on this trial-run I now will be soaking my grate over-night after each grilling session as being retired I have the time and energy and produced a good result depending on how dirty is the grate.

Also, I only grill around four(4) times a month and now have more interest in using more often my “Cajun Bandit Rotisserie “ in which clean-up is a breeze as it does not require using the grate!

To sum-up; purchasing the “soak tub” was a good investment:)

Richard,
You might trying SOS pads to help remove the stubborn stuff they also hold bar Keepers,or baking soda when soap fails to work any longer. Also try putting your pan direct sun helps keep water warm .
As with you I am retired and have time.

I asked this same question about how to clean my smoker grates many years ago in the forum. Someone suggested ammonia. Ever since then, I have used a dedicated 8x8 metal baking pan filled halfway with ammonia. Lay a big black garbage bag (33 gal.) flat on the patio floor, position the pan inside it in the middle, carefully stack my grates and water pan on top of it, kind of tee-pee style, close the bag up, set a brick on the knot so the whole thing doesn’t blow away, and let it set overnight. The fumes work like a charm to loosen up the crusty bits. It still requires an odious session in the kitchen sink with SOS pads and elbow grease, but it is a cheap method that has worked for me for 20 years.

For the record, my plastic garbage can lid is working fantastic. I literally just wiped my grate clean ten mins ago. I just plunk the grate in it after a cook. It's just water. Rain fills it for me and keeps it filled. Then when I get around to it, I take it out to the kitchen sink and wipe it with an old plastic scrubber sponge and a little soap. Done. So easy. (I only use it to clean the smoker grates though - that sugar rub burns on there)

Richard,
You might trying SOS pads to help remove the stubborn stuff they also hold bar Keepers,or baking soda when soap fails to work any longer. Also try putting your pan direct sun helps keep water warm .
As with you I am retired and have time.
Kevin; thanx for this tip,however, been visiting a variety of stores with no luck and apparently SOS Pads have yet to arrive here in Costa Rica :(

For the record, my plastic garbage can lid is working fantastic. I literally just wiped my grate clean ten mins ago. I just plunk the grate in it after a cook. It's just water. Rain fills it for me and keeps it filled. Then when I get around to it, I take it out to the kitchen sink and wipe it with an old plastic scrubber sponge and a little soap. Done. So easy. (I only use it to clean the smoker grates though - that sugar rub burns on there)

Mark, your smoker grate is on a WSM 22”?

Kevin; thanx for this tip,however, been visiting a variety of stores with no luck and apparently SOS Pads have yet to arrive here in Costa Rica :(

Then has steel wool pads made there yet, and if not just a two sided dish wash and scrubibg pad sponge,and abrasive pad . They are cheap here and effective.

Nope, it's for an Oklahoma Joe Bronco grate. But the lid fits a 22" weber grate - I already tested it.

My OKJ Bronco grate is coated with porcelain which is why I don't want to us steel wool.
I almost pulled the trigger on your lid but went with this at the last moment and remain happy with this purchase :)

Attachments

• 6E6FF9DA-6321-4361-ACF2-79195E3147AC.jpeg
    6E6FF9DA-6321-4361-ACF2-79195E3147AC.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 8

Back