Idea for Soaking Grates

Brendan

I'm guessing someone has already figured this (or something similar) out already, but I was searching the forum for ideas on what to use to soak the grates without being way too deep and only found suggestions for garage bags. I found a large plastic saucer for under a potted plant at my local plant store for $17 which works great. You probably won't find them this big at Home Depot or Lowes, but a specialty store should have them.

Kevin L (NKY)

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have a water tank over flow and drain pan which works great. And with the drain makes for easy clean up. I can soak 2 to 4 grates at a time depending on size some dawn, simple green or whatever you like let sit in the sun for few hours or days. Rub down with a scotch Brite pad rinse and cook. I have a couple grates for eCh size grill so I can let soak longer.

timothy

TVWBB Olympian
I found a large plastic saucer for under a potted plant at my local plant store for $17 which works great. You probably won't find them this big at Home Depot or Lowes, but a specialty store should have them.
Good idea, but a link or pic would be nice.( so we know what your talking about ) :)
I use a galvanized wash tub. It comes in handy because I can flip it over and use it as a table for my SJP or for staging my WSM's lids or mid sections. Also makes a good wind break for the 18.5" WSM.

Brendan

Good idea, but a link or pic would be nice.( so we know what your talking about ) :)
20190116b-rona.ca_-1.jpg

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
What is this "soak the grates" thing you speak of? In 40+ years of grilling, I don't think I have ever had to do anything but heat them up and brush them off...

DanHoo

TVWBB Hall of Fame
What is this "soak the grates" thing you speak of? In 40+ years of grilling, I don't think I have ever had to do anything but heat them up and brush them off...
I did it once to make them shiny when I sold my WSM

Chad-Burnt to a T

TVWBB Super Fan
Water heater drain pan is what I'm going to use. They come in plastic or metal are shallow, and have a drain plug. I also have some SS grates so they clean up easier. I know I've seen 24" not sure if there's any bigger or not.

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I'm guessing someone has already figured this (or something similar) out already, but I was searching the forum for ideas on what to use to soak the grates without being way too deep and only found suggestions for garage bags. I found a large plastic saucer for under a potted plant at my local plant store for $17 which works great. You probably won't find them this big at Home Depot or Lowes, but a specialty store should have them.
In 56 years of Weber grilling, I have never felt the urge to soak my grates..........