Idea for Soaking Grates

Brendan

I'm guessing someone has already figured this (or something similar) out already, but I was searching the forum for ideas on what to use to soak the grates without being way too deep and only found suggestions for garage bags. I found a large plastic saucer for under a potted plant at my local plant store for $17 which works great. You probably won't find them this big at Home Depot or Lowes, but a specialty store should have them.

I have a water tank over flow and drain pan which works great. And with the drain makes for easy clean up. I can soak 2 to 4 grates at a time depending on size some dawn, simple green or whatever you like let sit in the sun for few hours or days. Rub down with a scotch Brite pad rinse and cook. I have a couple grates for eCh size grill so I can let soak longer.

I found a large plastic saucer for under a potted plant at my local plant store for $17 which works great. You probably won't find them this big at Home Depot or Lowes, but a specialty store should have them.
Good idea, but a link or pic would be nice.( so we know what your talking about ) :)
I use a galvanized wash tub. It comes in handy because I can flip it over and use it as a table for my SJP or for staging my WSM's lids or mid sections. Also makes a good wind break for the 18.5" WSM.

Good idea, but a link or pic would be nice.( so we know what your talking about ) :)
20190116b-rona.ca_-1.jpg

What is this "soak the grates" thing you speak of? In 40+ years of grilling, I don't think I have ever had to do anything but heat them up and brush them off...

What is this "soak the grates" thing you speak of? In 40+ years of grilling, I don't think I have ever had to do anything but heat them up and brush them off...
I did it once to make them shiny when I sold my WSM

Water heater drain pan is what I'm going to use. They come in plastic or metal are shallow, and have a drain plug. I also have some SS grates so they clean up easier. I know I've seen 24" not sure if there's any bigger or not.

I'm guessing someone has already figured this (or something similar) out already, but I was searching the forum for ideas on what to use to soak the grates without being way too deep and only found suggestions for garage bags. I found a large plastic saucer for under a potted plant at my local plant store for $17 which works great. You probably won't find them this big at Home Depot or Lowes, but a specialty store should have them.
In 56 years of Weber grilling, I have never felt the urge to soak my grates..........

Back