I will just leave this here

I think this trade war stuff with china is finally starting to show up for real. Those chinese grates, flavo bars, and burners are all started to have less availability and the prices are starting to surge. I haven't bought burners in a while, but I just didn't want to deal with rehabbing an old set so I jumped on amazon to find one of the $15 sets I used to buy. The cheapest Silver B burners I could find were $20 now. I guess I should have expected that as I know the flavo bars and grates have followed the same path over the last six months or so.

It just makes it that much harder to make a few bucks rehabbing.

Yep, and I don't see any relief in sight. Also, this stupid virus 😷 doesn't help with production.

I say pass on the increases by asking higher prices!

I might have to. The profit margin keeps shrinking on these rehabs to the point that my time isn't worth too much.

I think your experience this year and what I see selling very quickly online suggests that the market is willing to bear some more. That doesn't mean $1,000 rehabs, but going up another $30 - $50 may well be in order.

I really think I am pushing the limit and I stress out when a grill doesn't move within a few day. I have a basic Silver B coming up, I may try $330 and see what happens. I just a call from the blaster guy and my BM lid and cook box are done as well. I just need to go pick it up and I can paint it and then start putting it back together. I am definitely going to push the market with that one.

And mill scale.

When I buy A-42 hot roll, I soak it for a week in vinegar. Best way I have found yet to remove mill scale! Probably not relevant to removing rust, but it works, just be patient.

Hot rolled steel? We used a lot of A-36 with mill scale. A hot torch pops it off too, but it's not the best idea in the world.

Hot rolled steel? We used a lot of A-36 with mill scale. A hot torch pops it off too, but it's not the best idea in the world.
Rusty, you are probably right. It is likely A-36, or whatever the designation for plain Jane everyday hot roll is. I'm gonna plead OldTimer's on this one. But throw a chunk of it in a jar of white vinegar and let it soak for about a week...it works really well.

I really think I am pushing the limit and I stress out when a grill doesn't move within a few day. I have a basic Silver B coming up, I may try $330 and see what happens. I just a call from the blaster guy and my BM lid and cook box are done as well. I just need to go pick it up and I can paint it and then start putting it back together. I am definitely going to push the market with that one.

I think you should give it a try - and then hold on a little and try to be patient😯.

I am looking forward to seeing that Broilmaster project come together. For that you will need an extra strong dose of patience. I think there are still some people who appreciate those, but judging by the FB ads I have been following, they aren’t buying everyday. The good news is that I don’t think there are virtually any truly restored Broilmaster grills that I have seen for sale.

I thought the mid-aught Genesis Platinums had a full SS frame?
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/hsh/d/escondido-weber-genesis-platinum/7166489603.html
00y0y_jrAE2Y7BcTu_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_2YYUvZftfVh_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

That looks like a coating or veneer coming off.

The frame is 304 stainless. The cabinetry, including the entire bottom is just cheap painted steel. The part that looks like a frame tube is just part of the bottom stamped into that shape.

Back