I will just leave this here

Weber Genesis 5000? This came up yesterday near me and I jumped on it. You guys have any experience replacing/rehabbing the chrome glass door clasp and hinges that are rusted?
F03736B9-D1C0-4C2D-80B2-0AA5A84E212C.png

Attachments

• 1131A4A0-EF37-4508-A93D-13F2B5AD223B.png
    1131A4A0-EF37-4508-A93D-13F2B5AD223B.png
    377.4 KB · Views: 6
Wow! That's a really special find, rust not withstanding. I think you are up against it trying to replace those parts. Maybe try soaking in Evaporust and then coat with rust encapsulator and then chrome paint. No, it won't be anywhere near perfect, but to have one of these grills at all is a pretty amazing score(y). Love to have one in my future museum!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRSOJSS/?tag=TVWB-20

Yeah I am kind of with Jon there. Though I have heard of people using Coca Cola to soak them in to remove rust. I seem to recall using it on the old chrome bumpers from back in the day

Citric acid bath might work well.
The glass door pivot hinges could probably be found online for replacement.

OK, only real issues I see besides the price is they only have the first row of flavorizer bars in there and that original handle either needs replacing or serious refinishing.
I also want to mention that the owner could easily be a forum member. The restore looks like it was done well other than the missing 8 flavorizer bars. I am not going to comment on the price. Maybe Elon Musk or Bezos is looking for a grill just like that.

OK, only real issues I see besides the price is they only have the first row of flavorizer bars in there and that original handle either needs replacing or serious refinishing.
I also want to mention that the owner could easily be a forum member. The restore looks like it was done well other than the missing 8 flavorizer bars. I am not going to comment on the price. Maybe Elon Musk or Bezos is looking for a grill just like that.

Actually, she has all thirteen bars in another picture. I think that she took out the top row just to show how nice the bottom five are.

I see both rows of bars in one of the photos:
109505396_2945728568868774_6414278868777394964_o.jpg

Seller is not being honest about the "new" parts. Grates, burners and igniter do not appear to be new. Even if the pictures matched the ad copy, I still think the asking price is out of sync with the market. Other than Jon, does anyone here collect vintage gassers for the sake of having them? There's lots of kettle collectors, but gasser collectors, not so much. So if it's going to be used as a grill (and not a museum piece), what else can one get for $1k and how cheaply could one replicate this grill on their own? A new Genesis SE-330 is $949. It has 9mm stainless rod grates and a side burner; it is probably a better cooker in every way, except rotisserie work. alternately, 1000 series Gennies are still relatively available in most areas of the country. Even with paying a blaster, purchasing new parts (regulator, burners, igniter, and RCP grates & FBs) and refinishing supplies, the cost would be about half of this seller's ask.

Agree with Bruce, the handle needs work. For that price, would have been nice to have the cook box blasted clean. Those don't look like "brand new SS burner tubes".
The paint on the side of the box is not that good.

I knew I recognized here name ... she is Genesis Club member. She has not posted it there yet.
If she does, I may offer a few words of advice. :)

Ugggghhhh, the neighbor stopped by and asked me to look at her grills and have me tell her if anything needs to be replaced. I was so hoping to see a couple Webers, but alas, NexGrill and Charbroil.

And typical, she didn't even realize they had removable drip tray or grease pans. Now I am stuck looking for replacement "flavorizer" bars on a NexGrill.

You never know. Someone might be bowled over by her very direct approach. It IS a very nice grill, just needing a couple touches as has already been noted. I think there might be a $500 or maybe a little more market to the right person, but $1,000 seems out of reach. Then, again, look at what people pay for those Generation 3 Summits! :oops:

I've removed rust with a vinegar soak.
And mill scale.

When I buy A-42 hot roll, I soak it for a week in vinegar. Best way I have found yet to remove mill scale! Probably not relevant to removing rust, but it works, just be patient.

Last edited:

Back