I will just leave this here

I bought a bottle of that a few years ago because I was feeling nostalgic. It still doesn't taste good 😕
Yeah, I think some nostalgia is well placed, but for a lot of things, we have come a long ways from those good old days. That is especially true with regard to barbecue and grilling equipment, sauces, etc.

I recall my grandma. For whatever reason she loved Open Pit. But she could not "say" "Open Pit". It came out opa pit-a :D

Yeah, I think some nostalgia is well placed, but for a lot of things, we have come a long ways from those good old days. That is especially true with regard to barbecue and grilling equipment, sauces, etc.
My dad had one of those grills with the rotisserie hood back in the 60’s.

It was used to grill hot dogs and hamburgers.

My memory is that it wasn’t very good at that. It had a handle to raise and lower the grate, but it was also easy to knock over. It rusted out but my dad still had the hood and rotisserie motor in good condition- not sure what happened to them.

Somehow they bought a little hibachi grill, and I remember that was a little more interesting- compact, two zones, and it was probably inexpensive but it lasted. My dad gave me his hibachi grill when I bought a house, and I used it for a little while before I bought the Genesis.

I did a quick search because this thread loosened some cob webs and found this:

0A210F5A-D09C-4CDD-B1AE-06A50DB6003A.jpeg

I would probably buy one if I could find a decent one not too expensive just for the fun.

And apologies if the comment about the pay one dollar was taken as an insult- it wasn’t meant to be personal.

My Dad taught me grilling watching him use his Hibachi grill a sirloin steak on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. Shortly after I picked up my CharQ (kind of a modern take-off on the hibachi), I decided to try a sirloin on it. That smell of charcoal-grilled sirloin brought back a rush of memories!😎

C7E98FF2-6F5A-4D0D-A807-49EC67A6C459.jpeg

You can find Hibachis out there, even cheaply made new ones (which will probably do just fine). Another member here gave me an awesome special deal on a classic old one.

Repurposed my Weber fire pit. It worked great, the lid really helped distribute the heat, even on low. I'm going to modify the legs on the gas ring to make it sit a bit lower, and drill a hole for the gas line to exit under the lid support. The bottom part of the pit and lid support never got hot, no worries with the hose melting.pit.jpg

FREE! In case someone in the Boston area (Watertown, MA) wants a project (or headache):
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/zip/d/watertown-big-***-weber-platnum-natural/7550786916.html
big.JPG

I would probably grab that thing just for the parts. I would take the tables, awesome solid SS grates and even the frame. Since the frame is stainless, I would find something to use it for.

What a shame.

I saw that monster. It is tempting because it has parts I want for my Platinum C, but that's a long ride, and a lot of scrap to toss. not to mention the consequences of picking up another grill.

This might be worth the trip assuming I get well enough to be away from a toilet :D (see my food poisoning post). I'm gonna keep an eye on it
Get well soon & go get it. I drove 7hrs round trip to get one in the best condition possible for myself and this Flame fireplace looks to be on par with that. I’ve been searching and turning these over repeatedly this year and have seen a lot of lesser examples than this.

This might be worth the trip assuming I get well enough to be away from a toilet :D (see my food poisoning post). I'm gonna keep an eye on it
It looks pretty nice, especially for what they are asking. It's not a horrible drive for you as long as you're feeling up to it.

I know Larry is looking for a NG version, but others might want to be aware that the Flame in question is a NG version.

Back