I will just leave this here

I have a few more than 4 tanks, and while it is convenient to do the exchange, its cheaper to get them refilled and I get 4.5 gallons added per tank vs the 4 gallons in an exchange tank.
Convenience trumps economy for me.

I can roll in from sun up till sundown any day of the week and be on my way in minutes.

Our local hardware store is great for many things, but it’s a process getting the tank filled.

To each his own.

You peel the recert sticker off your neighbors tank and slap it on yours
And after you get your tank refilled you put the neighbors sticker back on their tank before they find out?

Just kidding since it’s more like stamped into the steel collar if I remember correctly

And after you get your tank refilled you put the neighbors sticker back on their tank before they find out?

Just kidding since it’s more like stamped into the steel collar if I remember correctly
Recert is a sticker. You see them on the blue rhino tanks. Square white background black text

Yeah I guess I haven’t paid much attention to those.

I learned my new thing for the day.
For the 20lb tanks it’s easier to swap to old crappy one for a blue rhino with a most recent recert sticker. When the blue rhino is empty get it filled at the propane station.

Rinse repeat until the the recert runs out then back to the exchange place

For the 20lb tanks it’s easier to swap to old crappy one for a blue rhino with a most recent recert sticker. When the blue rhino is empty get it filled at the propane station.

Rinse repeat until the the recert runs out then back to the exchange place
So what the local hardware store employee told me about the blue rhino fill valve being different wasn’t accurate?

Brian, just know that swap tanks are almost always only 75% filled to capacity. So that $20 swap is much less gas than having it filled. If it is just a tank every few months, big deal, it is convenient and worth it. But, I take 4-5 tanks to fill at a time and make the savings worth while. Maybe once a year. I have plenty of spares with the tanks I accumulate from rehabbing though.

According to NFPA 58 propane tanks should not be filled past 80% so that would be 16 pounds on a 20lb tank so your only losing a pound with a swap as the exchange is 15lbs. Even Costco and I don't have one here locally to refill tanks only refill to 15lbs. If someone is filling your tanks to a full 20lbs for less than 20 bucks you have an unbelievable deal but I doubt they are there would be liability there but next time you get a tank filled ask them how many pounds they are actually putting in the tank. I don't think ACE refills past 15 lbs either.

Recert is a sticker. You see them on the blue rhino tanks. Square white background black text
I don't believe I have ever had a swap and that includes Blue Rhino where the recert was not stamped on the collar. Maybe many years ago a sticker was ok which would be nuts since the tank is out in elements and going to fade kind of like the stickers on our Webers.

Last edited:
About 6 years ago I had a tank that did not have the OPD valve might have been longer than that. I took it to Wally and of course the poor guy had no clue and swapped it out with no additonal charge cause again he had no clue. :)

I swap all my old style tanks at Walmart. They don't care about the connector or certifications. But they give you back a tank with the new style connector. It isn't cheating, that is their policy and I think most exchange places are the same.
Regarding recerts by the tank exchange places using stickers. They do, but from what I understand, they are just individual recerts that allow them to one time refill the tanks but are not valid after that.

According to NFPA 58 propane tanks should not be filled past 80% so that would be 16 pounds on a 20lb tank so your only losing a pound with a swap as the exchange is 15lbs. Even Costco and I don't have one here locally to refill tanks only refill to 15lbs. If someone is filling your tanks to a full 20lbs for less than 20 bucks you have an unbelievable deal but I doubt they are there would be liability there but next time you get a tank filled ask them how many pounds they are actually putting in the tank. I don't think ACE refills past 15 lbs either.
I'm not an expert so I certainly could be wrong, yet my understanding is a 20 lb tank by design has 20% additional capacity so even filled "full" it would be within the regs.

When I have mine filled I ask for 4.5 gallons. They have a 5 gallon min charge so getting two or more tanks saves a few dollars.

if I find a tank needs to be recertified, I'll take it in for a tank exchange and pick one that looks newer and in good condition.

That is what I do as well Dan. Or I just sell the ones out of certification to my rehab customers for $10 or sometimes I just throw them in if they don't try to talk down the price of the grill. Then, I tell them to just use the exchange places to get a refill.

Back