I will just leave this here

The 5 lb Propane tank is worth more than $45.
The problem around here in the Atlanta area at least would be getting it re-certified. I know there was a member here a few years ago who tried and could not find anyone to do it. You can buy a new one for a bit more than 50 bucks though I think Flame King is the only one who sells them now might be wrong but its the same brand on Amazon also.

The problem around here in the Atlanta area at least would be getting it re-certified. I know there was a member here a few years ago who tried and could not find anyone to do it. You can buy a new one for a bit more than 50 bucks though I think Flame King is the only one who sells them now might be wrong but its the same brand on Amazon also.

I called around to a few RV repair shops and asked if they recertified tanks and after a few calls got a referral and found a shop that does.

My 5 lb tank is pre OPD and the shop said they could change it out and recertify it for $35.

I think you are referring to 20lb tanks. Not the 5lb tanks.
I meant if Dan could get the 5 pound re-certified tank for $35 if you spent $17 more you could have a brand new tank which is $52. I assume when he said 35 that was not filled if it was changes the deal a bit. Should have been more clear.

OK, I see what you are saying. Good point too.

Another option is to find a refill station that doesn't worry about certifications. I know some do and some don't. A lot of times it just depends on the person doing the refill too.

That is kind of tricky agree some might not care, my 20lb tanks were past the limit usually got them filled at my Ace, the last time I was there over a year ago they filled them but told me they would not do them again. So I went to Kroger hand picked two swap tanks in nice shape with no more than a year on them.

I love to give business to my local Ace the last time I had them refilled they were like 14 bucks again over a year ago. I ran one empty and got them to refill that tank a few weeks ago and the charge was 22 bucks it would be cheaper for me to go to Kroger and swap a tank now since they charge 20 bucks and are a lot closer to me so its alot more convenient since we shop there pretty frequently.

Brian, just know that swap tanks are almost always only 75% filled to capacity. So that $20 swap is much less gas than having it filled. If it is just a tank every few months, big deal, it is convenient and worth it. But, I take 4-5 tanks to fill at a time and make the savings worth while. Maybe once a year. I have plenty of spares with the tanks I accumulate from rehabbing though.

12 years on a new tank. Not sure if it is a state thing though. It is 12 in Wisconsin and probably similar everwhere. I do think recertifications are only good for ten years though.

If you buy a new tank, make sure it isn't already old stock and a year or two into the certification period already. They stamp the tanks on the top collar with the cert date.

I bought a 5lb tank at Costco with an integrated fuel gauge by Flame King for $49.99. I had to modify the bracket on my SSP to accept the Flame King Tank. The handle area is a little different than the tanks that originally came with the SSP.

Would the built in gauge be more accurate than one of the add on gauges?

I found the add on gauge becomes useless when the weather turns cold- almost full tank reading almost empty.

12 years on a new tank. Not sure if it is a state thing though. It is 12 in Wisconsin and probably similar everwhere. I do think recertifications are only good for ten years though.

If you buy a new tank, make sure it isn't already old stock and a year or two into the certification period already. They stamp the tanks on the top collar with the cert date.
Recerts are 5 years. The US Department of Transportation DOT is the regulatory body.

Attachments

• 38D83E52-98FD-4A34-8EB9-128966CDDC2F.png
    38D83E52-98FD-4A34-8EB9-128966CDDC2F.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 1
Most of those add on gauges are junk. Although, I picked up a tank on a rehab that was simply fastened on by a plastic band. I thought it was a joke but the damn thing actually works...good. It is not physically connected any other way. I have no idea how it actually works.

Would the built in gauge be more accurate than one of the add on gauges?

I found the add on gauge becomes useless when the weather turns cold- almost full tank reading almost empty.
I think the gauge is more of an indicator that's reasonably accurate than a precisely accurate instrument. I can attest that it is definitely accurate when it reads empty. The tanks cost about $2-$3 to refill at Costco.

I have four 20lb. tanks.

When two are empty I just switch them out for full ones at Lowes.

Lowes told me that they will accept any tank for exchange regardless of certification.

At one time the local hardware store told me the Lowes cylinders have a slightly different valve and can’t be refilled by them - not sure if it’s true though.

I meant if Dan could get the 5 pound re-certified tank for $35 if you spent $17 more you could have a brand new tank which is $52. I assume when he said 35 that was not filled if it was changes the deal a bit. Should have been more clear.

Yeah, this was how I read it Brian. It was $35 to replace the non-OPD valve with OPD and recertify it. The shop doesn't actually refill tanks either so that was for an empty, recertified tank. If I could get it done for cheaper I would consider it but otherwise, I'd just get a new tank.

I have four 20lb. tanks.

When two are empty I just switch them out for full ones at Lowes.

Lowes told me that they will accept any tank for exchange regardless of certification.

At one time the local hardware store told me the Lowes cylinders have a slightly different valve and can’t be refilled by them - not sure if it’s true though.

I have a few more than 4 tanks, and while it is convenient to do the exchange, its cheaper to get them refilled and I get 4.5 gallons added per tank vs the 4 gallons in an exchange tank.

Back