I will just leave this here

Excellent choice! A super easy grill to get running again.
Easier than a B or C? Or then a Gold or Platinum for that matter? To me, it seems they're pretty much all quite similar. With the 1000 line, things can get more complex because parts may be harder to source. I've not yet fired up 13 bar grill to compare the output. I hope to do that this weekend.

Easier than a B or C? Or then a Gold or Platinum for that matter? To me, it seems they're pretty much all quite similar. With the 1000 line, things can get more complex because parts may be harder to source. I've not yet fired up 13 bar grill to compare the output. I hope to do that this weekend.
Right, the parts for the Silvers are easier to find and cheaper. Most of the golds and platinums use the same parts as a silver. As far as comparing the output, I don't know. They both cook very well.

Another Summit Burn-through???

Not sure what I think of this. No, I am not wanting it, although of all the 3rd generation Summits, the 4-burner in black is the only one that even LOOKS good to me.

What do you make of this description? Loose burner tubes or the dreaded burn-through?

I am amazed that this one has a nice cabinet, but I can think of a lot of other things I would spend $500+ on. Interested in what others see here.

Summit Without Rust in Cabinet.jpg

Summit Without Rust.jpg

Hard to believe, but apparently the Summit still suffers from all the usual problems. If you look at at a new one, many reviews still complain of rusty cabinets and burned out fire boxes. It makes you wonder why someone would pay 2500 -3000 for a grill they know may only last ten years.

Jon: I would like to look at the inside of the cook box to see if it really is burn through or simply a loose burner tube. I would guess burn through, but that grill just doesn't look all that heavily used.

Crazy how the Summits were botched. Of the two that I have, one has a box that's still in good shape. It's burner tubes are cracked but the other one has perfectly good tubes. I could make one decent grill if either of them had decent flavorizer bars. But I'm not going to spend $300 on new bars to sell a rehabbed grill for maybe $300. And I'm not going to con someone into paying more than it's worth. I'm grateful for the grates from both, the side burner parts (one set for me, one for Samuel) and the frame that went into my friend's hybrid. Took the best parts. Maybe I'll keep the second frame in case I eventually get ambitious and do something with it.

Crazy how the Summits were botched. Of the two that I have, one has a box that's still in good shape. It's burner tubes are cracked but the other one has perfectly good tubes. I could make one decent grill if either of them had decent flavorizer bars. But I'm not going to spend $300 on new bars to sell a rehabbed grill for maybe $300. And I'm not going to con someone into paying more than it's worth. I'm grateful for the grates from both, the side burner parts (one set for me, one for Samuel) and the frame that went into my friend's hybrid. Took the best parts. Maybe I'll keep the second frame in case I eventually get ambitious and do something with it.
It's too bad you don't have a passion to do just that. If you were able to resurrect a Summit it would definitely be a feather in your cap. Not to sell it, but to keep it and use it as it was the ultimate Weber branded grill.

It's too bad you don't have a passion to do just that. If you were able to resurrect a Summit it would definitely be a feather in your cap. Not to sell it, but to keep it and use it as it was the ultimate Weber branded grill.
There was a new member here who was going to a local high school metal shop to get things made for his resto. He never posted how it worked out for him, but Roy's friend seems to be a capable guy, maybe between the two of them maybe they could come up with something. I'd sure like to watch as it unfolds!

There was a new member here who was going to a local high school metal shop to get things made for his resto. He never posted how it worked out for him, but Roy's friend seems to be a capable guy, maybe between the two of them maybe they could come up with something. I'd sure like to watch as it unfolds!
I'd like to see it too. If I had two summit grills, no matter how or why I came by them, I think I would attempt to make at least one usable grill out of them. That being said, I totally respect Roy if he isn't up to the task or just isn't interested in it.

I'd like to see it too. If I had two summit grills, no matter how or why I came by them, I think I would attempt to make at least one usable grill out of them. That being said, I totally respect Roy if he isn't up to the task or just isn't interested in it.
Maybe he will attempt it if he's given enough encouragement, but if he's not really feelin' it...

I’d be tempted to make a run at a fix too and therein lies the problem. I’ve been able to dodge the Summit headache for the most part. I refused one job and agreed only to some cabinet work on the other of the 2 that have come my way. With a couple of them sitting around, I know I’d get sucked in and probably make more of a project out of it than it would ever need to be.

Back