I will just leave this here

Lol, you too Jon? Bashing my stamped stainless steel Weber grates. I thought you were better than that 🤪
That Jon! He minces no words and takes no prisoners! :LOL:

As for Weber, I'm still trying to digest that they would offer a lower cost entry point for a high end grill.

That Jon! He minces no words and takes no prisoners! :LOL:

As for Weber, I'm still trying to digest that they would offer a lower cost entry point for a high end grill.
Yeah, that doesn't really make too much sense to me either. Maybe they were afraid nobody would buy the top of the line version? They should have been more concerned with the durability of it. It's kind of ironic that the Genesis models, which cost far less, have much better longevity.

Yeah, that doesn't really make too much sense to me either. Maybe they were afraid nobody would buy the top of the line version? They should have been more concerned with the durability of it. It's kind of ironic that the Genesis models, which cost far less, have much better longevity.
I've been studying that grill for the past 20 minutes...it has a separate burner under the smoker box, and that looks like rust on the grates, so maybe those are PCI grates...and possibly replacements? They are rusted through, broken and falling apart, so I don't think those are the :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: cheap :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: stamped ss grates.

Screenshot_20220305-222811_Chrome.jpg

Another observation are the gray table endcaps and squared off tables as were used on the 2000 - 2003 (?) Silvers...the 2004 - 2005 (?) Silvers had black encaps and rounded fronts.

Last edited:
Those grates are so fried it's hard to tell what they were originally. As far as the tables go, those don't look right either.

Those grates are so fried it's hard to tell what they were originally. As far as the tables go, those don't look right either.
Agreed. Those grates are nasty and pretty much worthless. Also, a size I've not seen before. 13 bars, quite thick and close together. I've no idea if they would fit in a Genesis firebox. The ones I pulled off a couple of 2nd gen Summits had 15 bars.

Agreed. Those grates are nasty and pretty much worthless. Also, a size I've not seen before. 13 bars, quite thick and close together. I've no idea if they would fit in a Genesis firebox. The ones I pulled off a couple of 2nd gen Summits had 15 bars.
I think on that grill it used three grates if it didn't have the smoker box or whatever it was called.

I presume the 2 bars were removed from each panel to make room for the smoker box (?) That is a larger smoker box than the Steam 'N Chips, probably because it has its own burner.

This is a '98 1200XL Platinum with the SnC...the bars that were removed were taken off a single panel. That 4-burner + smoker burner is quite a bit wider.

Oh, yeah, with the SnC it requires one less flavo bar. I bought a single flavo from RCP rather than buy a whole set (the ones that came with were SS and in great shape). It's my daily driver.

1646559739248.jpeg

I presume the 2 bars were removed from each panel to make room for the smoker box (?) That is a larger smoker box than the Steam 'N Chips, probably because it has its own burner.
Could be, that whole grill doesn't look right to me, but I'm no expert on those things.

Just the way I got it. Most of what you see there is dust from sitting in the back of a machine shop for most of its life.
I've had my 1200 Platinum since new and it's my baby as you well know. It sits safe and sound in like new condition in my garage.

Do you remember the day you bought it? Why did you choose black? The reason I ask is because I bought a new (red) kettle in '90 and a new (black) OTP in '02 and the only colors I could see a grill being was black or maybe red back then. Blue? No way would I have a blue grill. It didn't look like a grill in my mind back then...just couldn't picture it. My perception screen.

I've had my 1200 Platinum since new and it's my baby as you well know. It sits safe and sound in like new condition in my
Do you remember the day you bought it? Why did you choose black? The reason I ask is because I bought a new (red) kettle in '90 and a new (black) OTP in '02 and the only colors I could see a grill being was black or maybe red. Blue? No way would I have a blue grill.
It's a good story. I got engaged to my wife in 1998. My mother in law bought me that grill as a wedding present from Marshall Fields. I didn't ask for it or expect it. I didn't realize at the time how much it would come to mean to me. It's one of my meager but prized possessions.

Here's one from my Catch and Release folder. It was about an hour away from me and I got in touch with the guy and the first thing he told me was that he had a higher offer than what the ad listed but if I still wanted it I could make an offer. Red flag #1. I told him if he had already made a commitment he should go through with it but then he said I could have it for $60. I told him I wasn't overly concerned about the price increase but asked for more pictures. He never sent them, and looking at the pictures he posted with the ad, one can see that the grill was wet down to make it shine and the fact that it was NG was obfuscated. Also note that the pictures are blurry and taken in shadow (it's a chocolate brown lid). I hope he found a good home for it.

1646563609299.png

Not sure if this is UK or Aus. Certainly different.

Attachments

• 8B992C0A-D452-4DD9-AE5B-B9DF92FBF984.png
    8B992C0A-D452-4DD9-AE5B-B9DF92FBF984.png
    429 KB · Views: 4

Back