I will just leave this here

I for one am a victim of the "free" or substantially low price. Because then I load a couple hundred in flavorizer bars, burners and grates into them. Not to mention the scrubbing, painting, staining, polyurethane and other stuff I end up doing. It's like going to the hardware store. There are no good values there. You're only getting yourself a lot of work, just like picking up these wretched grills. It's why I won't flip them. I'd be better off focusing on other projects and hanging around the grill area at home depot handing out twenties. I would NEVER turn a profit on one, and rather than do all the work I could just give people money I would lose anyway and get some other things done :)

On a deal like that, it is hard to decide who got the better end of the bargain, but I'm leaning toward the buyer. There is a ton of work in making a grill look that good.
DEFINITELY the buyer. I feel bad when guys lose margin on them, and I know for a fact that they do. If not in raw materials, then definitely in labor, skill and craftsmanship.

I for one am a victim of the "free" or substantially low price. Because then I load a couple hundred in flavorizer bars, burners and grates into them. Not to mention the scrubbing, painting, staining, polyurethane and other stuff I end up doing. It's like going to the hardware store. There are no good values there. You're only getting yourself a lot of work, just like picking up these wretched grills. It's why I won't flip them. I'd be better off focusing on other projects and hanging around the grill area at home depot handing out twenties. I would NEVER turn a profit on one, and rather than do all the work I could just give people money I would lose anyway and get some other things done :)
Same here. I got paid pretty well during my working career, got benefits like paid holidays, vacations, medical/dental coverage, etc., and didn't have to work nearly as hard. I'll do it for family and friends, but I'd sooner go back to my old job than flip grills, and my hat is off to those that turn out these masterpieces.

I know I couldn't make any money doing Genesis 1000 -5000 series grills. They have too much going on with the slats and zbars, not to mention that the parts you can get for them are kind of expensive. I think Bruce has the right idea by mostly doing Silvers. More/ cheaper parts availability and less labor intensive to restore.

I know I couldn't make any money doing Genesis 1000 -5000 series grills. They have too much going on with the slats and zbars, not to mention that the parts you can get for them are kind of expensive. I think Bruce has the right idea by mostly doing Silvers. More/ cheaper parts availability and less labor intensive to restore.
Probably correct, Bruce would know! I just know that personally I'd go too crazy on them, even Silver B's. Then I'd never get my money back. My personal grill (2000) and the 1000 I am restoring soon for a friend of the family is enough! It is ENOUGH!

i really hope i don't see any good freebies soon ....

It is scary. I've started looking at kettles too :eek:

I suppose it keeps me from spending real money on something like an E6 or an EX6

I suspect you are absolutely right, but I keep getting attracted to the old wood slat Genesis grills - even the very first Genesis I-5 grills with the wide slats. I know IF there is any market at a profitable price it is very small. But surely, there are a few people out there who would want a restored 57 Chevy for the price less than a new Hyundai!

I might be taking you up on that or something like it. Is there a friends and family discount?
Ha ha, I love it! After all of the discussion of the value of a good restoration, the Weberitis kicks in, it's one of those diseases that are part physical and part mental! I would do the same thing, except that for some reason I prefer putting myself through the misery of cleaning these grills up. I am seriously thinking about just putting money inside grills at Home Depot just so I don't have it to waste on this incurable condition!

Back