I will just leave this here

I am sure they are feeling some squeeze from FaceBook Marketplace. I haven't really sold on eBay in a while, so I didn't know they had jacked up their fees so much. In one of my other money loser hobbies, I restore toy submarines and sets made by Remco in the 1960s. I wonder with the shipping option whether people would actually buy these on FB Marketplace? Like it or not, I think eBay is still the place to sell stuff like that. I guess I need to do some looking around for other options. I was hoping to unload a bunch of my inventory when my final tax deadline (10/15) is over and it gets too cold to do much grill work.

I had this Pyromid folding stainless steel grill for sale on FB marketplace for about 4 months with no hit. I put it on eBay and it sold for over $100 in less than 24 hours. Sometimes you gotta take the hit.
20210402_185257.jpg

That is a UFO looking contraption. Yah, with Ebay, the big selling point is the broad market you have. If you can make what you are asking after paying the postage and Ebay Fees, then what the heck. I just find it tough to get a Genesis Silver B in a Large Flat Rate USPS box.

Yeah I hear ya on taking the hit. I have 2 mixers up on Craigslist right now. At GREAT prices and no bites. I have a really sweet KA by Hobart K45SS "Classic". In absolutely mint cosmetic condition. Fully rebuilt, tuned and GUARANTEED and only trying to see $175 (or at least close). Nothing but jokers. And a brand spanking new KA Commercial 8qt unit complete with the optional safety cage still sporting the factory cord lockout. These units are on sale right now $750 from Amazon, and here too only looking to get $675 (or something close) and again only crickets and jokers.
I have no doubt the exposure on FleaBay will get them sold. But, their commission structure is so outrageous it REALLY cuts into my P&L
Very discouraging to say the least. I may try knocking off 15% from each one on CL and Marketplace and see if it gives me anyway to avoid FleaBay

Larry, my last rehab took over a week to sell and I currently have another for sale and it just hit a week on CL and FB MP. I am going to list another one today. Until this fall, I had never had to wait over a week to sell a grill I listed, but I think the economy is a changin'. The government is finally having to start admitting to inflation which in reality has been in full affect for a few years. They have pulled the rubber band pretty tight. All we can do it hope it doesn't break before some of the pressure is slowly released or Jimmy Carter interest rates are on the horizon. The stimulus money has run its course and people don't have extra $$$ in their pockets any longer. The buy, fix and resell market could cool way off over the next year or two or three.

Yeah Bruce. I got a whole lot to say about all this.......................but I don't dare lest I get put in jail for a political post LOL. So that stuff will have to stay private

I would think it is just seasonal as I haven't seen a Weber to grab in weeks. New grill price inflation will just help us sell quality used grills IMHO. Look what happens in the used car market when new car prices go way up, so do used ones.

Yah, there is a ton of grills being dumped on the sale sites the last couple weeks. More kettles than gassers, but I have passed on some Genesis grills that I usually would not have. There is plenty for sale that are in the $100 plus range as well that IMO are way over priced.

I'm wondering what makes a "platinum" better? This one just popped up FS for $100.

I'm still on the fence about owning a deep box x000 vs my silver B.

Is the deep box really worth it?

243639492_5260371124050548_2394162920578091375_n.jpg

This is another I've been looking at, but the seller is not very responsive...

222483284_4147171908711359_5354322003689426038_n.jpg

I'm wondering what makes a "platinum" better? This one just popped up FS for $100.

243639492_5260371124050548_2394162920578091375_n.jpg

The Platinum looks better as I like the additional 2 swing up shelves

My guess is that is a 4000-series Platinum with durawood. It has the newer style swing tables with the sliding support. The other grill has the wood tables and shelves and has the earlier style swing table support prop rod and stamped outboard hinge bracket.

A red flag for me on the Platinum is the missing tank scale and tank support, indicating a possible NG to LPG conversion. You might be getting someone else's headache with that one.

Last edited:
Thanks.

The platinum is NG. good eye for detail.
I have a x000 donor that came with LP and have the manifold, tank hanger, scale pointer, hose regulator etc.

I'm not familiar with the different table supports

I'd go for the red platinum personally, especially if you already have the propane parts. I would rather have the two flip down tables instead of the side burner. The platinum series came with a slide lock prop rod on the tables which works a lot nicer than the standard lock.

Steve, I think it's burgundy. I have a 98 burgundy Platinum and it is a very nice color that changes according to the lighting. I also have an earlier (89) burgundy that is lighter in color, almost a pastel, that can look pinkish when the light is right. It also appears to have the sparkles (mica) in the porcelain.

The 89 is a Genesis 4 that came with 2 matching serving trays. The G4 in that year was only offered in 2 colors, burgundy and grey. It has the slider on both tables, so like the earlier casters, that must have been an upscale offering reserved for the higher end models in 89.

Last edited:
I think the Platinum series was created to introduce the new durawood tables and shelves, but it's only a guess. Regardless, I really like the extra graphics on the lid...that much real estate needs something to set it off.

I really like that right side flip up table, giving you two on that Platinum. Beyond that and the durawood, I guess the "Platinum" name at this point is otherwise just some graphics. But I can tell you that a right side flip-up table is not that common and very much sought after.

I think the Platinum series was created to introduce the new durawood tables and shelves, but it's only a guess. Regardless, I really like the extra graphics on the lid...that much real estate needs something to set it off.
I prefer the platinum series for the same reason, it just looks nicer. As far as features, I have both a platinum series and an LX model and they are otherwise identical. My platinum did come from Marshall Fields so maybe it was just a difference in where Weber retailed them.

Back