I will just leave this here

You ask a philosophical question and you are going to get many different answers. I am not far different than Jon when he describes his motivations. I am not a flipper, maybe a collector, but mostly a hobbyist. I enjoy the process, from the initial acquisition to the final product. I enjoy making things and really like the idea of turning someone's junk back into a showpiece. I have personal grills and I restore grills as gifts to friends and family. I have never sold a grill, not interested in that. The time and money that I put in to a grill rehab, I chalk up to having a fun hobby. It is all about the detail to me, I may spend days taking apart, cleaning, polishing and repainting a manifold that will never really be seen by the end user...but that is my point, it is what I enjoy doing.
I wish I had a nice workspace or shed, but I don't . I have a garage that I have to move the cars out every time I need to use the space. I have some tools, but more importantly, I have friends with tools that are willing to help me.
I also enjoy the interaction with other members on this forum, that also kind of keeps me going.
It sounds like you are not a flipper based on your post. Restore that Gen 2 redhead, and make it something that you can be proud of and would like to show off a little. Then, just maybe , you will get the bug like the rest of us.
Welcome to TVWBB!

Yah, it is a hobby that I can make a few buck off of instead it costing me money. If I was doing to pay the bills, I would be a lot better off stocking shelves at Walmart.

There is one flipper on here that has gotten a system down where he actually makes some decent change doing rehabs and flips. THat would be "Dave in KC".

That is kind of what I figured. I have some tools and some know how, but if I didn't find this site I would be lost. It is fun to read the posts and see what people are doing. I am a little afraid of getting sucked in, as I am super busy just in life. This all started with my cheapo grill dyeing a rusty horrible death. I started researching the best grill that will last a long time. I came up with working on an old weber. I kept missing the old ones on craigslist. There must be a flipper near me. I really had decided I wanted an old redhead with wood work surfaces.

Eventually I just picked up a 3 burner Spirit with controls on the front. It is what I am using right now and has worked flawlessly once I replaced the igniter and the flavorizers. I still really wanted a redhead and finally picked up my Genesis 2 for $15. This is how it probably started for many of you. I am just doing little bits as I have time.

Most of my free time is spent paragliding, but it is very weather dependent.

Here is a short video of a flight I took Monday. Its from my head cam and condensed from 73 minutes to 6 minutes. Just in case you want to see what I do for fun when I'm not working on my redhead.

That one looks really nice. That grill is all style and no substance, but maybe if kept inside and cleaned often it would be OK. Kind of looks like maybe it is just a display item anyway!
Yeah, it was in amazing condition, but didn't look like it was very useful. Should of snapped a pic of the grates. Odd looking grates and a limited grilling space. Not a very convenient grill

Last edited:
Yah, it is a hobby that I can make a few buck off of instead it costing me money. If I was doing to pay the bills, I would be a lot better off stocking shelves at Walmart.

There is one flipper on here that has gotten a system down where he actually makes some decent change doing rehabs and flips. THat would be "Dave in KC".

Stop Bruce. You are making me blush. ;)

Don't know anything about Lynx grills or his price, but I'm very impressed with the "professionally cleaned" aspect. Guess that costs more than I charge for grinding a firebox. LOL. I've seen these cleaning companies advertise, but find it hard to believe that they'd have enough business to make any profit, at least from backyard cooks.

1602944203065.png

I have that exact grill in unrestored condition. It IS a very nice grill, and brand new they really are $7,000 :oops: !

I got mine in sad shape as far as internals, for only $175. The guy had strung chicken wire to create a makeshift holder for ceramic briquettes and was thinking about turning it into a charcoal grill:eek:!!! Kind of like putting mud flaps on a Ferrari.

I bought over $600 in parts (knobs, bezels, real briquette holders for the two cast iron burners and a new infrared sear burner). I still need some more parts and plenty of cleaning. On the other hand, the solid 304 stainless body doesn't rust and it came with a full set of mammoth stainless rod grates and a completely unused rotisserie which is aided by an additional rear infrared burner. The motor on the rotisserie has THREE SPEEDS! Definitely on a different plain than our beloved bread and butter Webers.

This is a very high-end grill. I dragged it all the way to Indiana, but don't know how well it will sell here compared to South Florida where people are a lot more free with their money. Another winter and spring project. I hope to have it for sale by early summer, and If I can't get some profit out of it by next fall, I may have to accept that it is mine to keep;)!

I have not tried them, but everything I have gotten from Qlimetal has been a cut above most of their Asian competition. I wish they made 9mm grates for the older Genesis grills.

You should at least check in with Dave Santana "rcplanebuyer" to see what he can do. I doubt he can match that reduced price, but you would be buying from a US craftsman. That's worth something more. How much more is an individual decision.

p.s. Yes, $7,000 for ANY grill is really crazy. All I can say is that these are in a totally different league and bought primarily by people who drop that kind of money on all kinds of stuff they know little about. If I could get mine 95% rebuilt and sell it for say $1,600, someone would be getting a grill for less than a new Summit but built like a tank and all 304 stainless vs. the current Summit's cheap painted steel cabinetry and firebox that will inevitably fail. If I can't sell it, I will have the closest thing to a Vieluxe that I am likely to own!

If qulimetal put out 9mm 304SS grates for that price for Genesis B/C and 1000-5000 grill, it would be definitely a contender for the high end market.

And if they packaged it with a fairly priced set of 13-bar 16 gauge, 304 stainless flavorizer bars it would be a tough to beat combination for those restoring older Genesis grills and wanting to go higher end. I see both of these as two opportunities Qlimetal is missing out on.

Jon for all the work and investment in that Lynx IMO it deserves to be your keeper. Odds are trying to sell it will never bring the $$$$ it should because it's rare to find people who truly appreciate high quality

I agree. If I had one laying around, I might rehab it and put it up for sale with a good price on it. If it doesn't sell, I would probably keep it as my personal grill. Still gotta keep a Genesis 1000 for roto work though.

I will always be a Weber guy. The Lynx would certainly be a cool thing to have in working order, but honestly I am more excited about cooking on the first generation Summit I bought from Larry. Now if I could get a Vieluxe...

hcOQcJq - Imgur.jpg

Oops, I was distracted by the grills and didn't notice the non-Indiana trees!😬

Yep, that was my Florida world. Very tight living on a religious campground residential community. I could almost literally reach out and touch my neighbor! But, it was good in that it was like living in Mayberry in 1960. Kids played in the neighborhood with no worries and everyone cared about each other.

Still working on a set up for here. No deck and no real patio. Hope to save money from tax season and maybe be able to build a covered extension to my workshop shed. In addition to a place to work outside even in the rain, that would provide a nice place to set up a rotation of grills for the outdoor season. (I am still trying to get used to the idea of winter🥶!)

I think it's funny how people still call them water pump pliers. No one has rebuilt a water pump in house for probably 50 years :D I remember doing them. But then I also remember all drum brakes on 6000lb cars LOL (can you say fade? sure I knew you could), I also was brought up in the times when there was valve train noise we had to turn our own rocker shafts on the shop lathe down to next rocker arm size, machined out own drums, rebuilt carbs (not replaced), rebuilt starters, generators, alternators, water pumps, differentials basically we did not "replace" anything, We rebuilt everything. It was a different time
Ah, those were the days remember them well. jiffy kits for carbs, installing new brushes in generators, using a star wrench to adjust brakes, adjusting valves with feeler gauges, how about the toilet paper roll oil filters, oil bath air cleaners. Good Times!
But Larry you forgot the best part, driving a 6000 pound car with drum brakes in the pouring rain and standing on the brake pedal with both feet praying that the beast would stop. Yahoo!

Last edited:

Back