I want low temps on my WSM 22

Raleigh W.

TVWBB Member
I've had my WSM for many years. It's rock solid and runs at 250*-275* all day long. I use the Minion Method and usually have water in the pan. This past weekend I wanted to make some jerky, which would require a much lower temp. I just purchased a Party Q ATC and figured I would use the same method and let the ATC control the oxygen. I ran it with a foiled pan and no water. With all vents closed (except for where the ATC hooks up) and the upper vent half open the pit was running up to 300*. I started with half a chimney so maybe that was too much but I thought the ATC would allow it to come down since no air was getting in. I guess I was wrong. The jerky tastes good but it's basically cooked and not dried.

This weekend I plan to put on a pork belly that's been curing over the last week. I'll want to run the pit about 175* but I'm wary of my method now. Should I use a fuse method instead? Water in the pan? Suggestions are welcome.

I've never made either but find I get lower temps with water vs none, sounds kind of wrong when trying to dry jerky though. I also start with 12-14 coals, center can minion. More coals for higher temp.

never tried the snake method but it does sound like a good idea for low. would be worth a try. I wonder if the ATC works for that.

I used the snake(fuse) method for cooks like that as well. This is my setup from a recent bacon cook:

full

You can see on the right side I went 3 deep. That was because it was cold. 1 deep you run you around 150 and 2 deep around 180. I don't have one but the ATC should make it easy mode. You might need the snake longer. Any charcoal you don't use will be easily reusable I've found.

I used the snake(fuse) method for cooks like that as well. This is my setup from a recent bacon cook:

full

You can see on the right side I went 3 deep. That was because it was cold. 1 deep you run you around 150 and 2 deep around 180. I don't have one but the ATC should make it easy mode. You might need the snake longer. Any charcoal you don't use will be easily reusable I've found.
I think this is going to make the most sense. I appreciate your estimates on temp too. Out of curiosity, do you use anything in the pan?

I had to gasket my lid and bottom , plus changed the door to a cajun bandit to seal mine up. I couldn't go under 300 with no water in the pan

Impossible to say what your issue was without being there and having more information.
but it's very possible that an ATC without a damper /valve will still draft enough air through a fan that's off 2 make the WSM burn hot. This is why people invented the dampers that we run on the heater meter.

I run my 18 in. The 130 to 150 range all the time to smoke bacon. You definitely need to start with less coals for low temperature. Just like you need to start with more coals for higher temperature

full

Yesterday I did another batch of jerky and used a 2x2 fuse with some post oak chunks. With the Party Q ATC I kept it at 165* for 5 hours. The length of the fuse was about the same as shown in your photo and I still have about a quarter of it left.

Appreciate the advice. My wife says this batch is delicious.

Back