I think "Hot Nail Through Room Temp Butter" is a misnomer for test of tenderness.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I think "Hot Nail Through Room Temp Butter" is a misnomer for test of tenderness.

I know I am likely splitting hairs here just a bit, but I think this description is overused and not really that accurate. It's fun to say and perhaps if you are probing the fat on a fully cooked BB it could feel that soft, but I think it's a bit misleading. It seems to me that it never really gets quite that soft and in my experience the tenderness of meat varies as the probe travels farther into the center of the cut.

I think a better description of probe tenderness would be something along the lines of a shishkebab skewer through a marshmallow or something similar.

Again, splitting hairs but just wanted to put this out there so I can get jumped on by those who know a lot more about cooking BBQ than me. :cool:

Smoke on!

I thought it was a nail through hot butter? I usually use the probe on my thermopen and typically I find the meat has very little resistance when done. There might be a better way to describe it, though.

If you're talking about back ribs (BB--baby backs), then IMO there is no probe involved.

Start checking at 4 hr "bendability". Also, have they started pulling back at the bone ends?

If really in doubt, take your knife out and cut off an end rib. Test it. Cooks' perogative. Is it good? Really in doubt? Cut the rack in half and test a "middle of the rack" rib. Taste good? Take 'em off and start cutting and eating.

If you're talking about beef brisket (short forms for the real word(s) need to be explained first), then disregard.

Last edited:
Once you get the feel of it, you just know it.
Personally I don't keep hot nails or knives in my kitchen.:)

Tim

Also depends on how you like the mest done. I prefer a bit of resistance, not a lot but you do have to push a tad. Any softer than that and its mush to me.

I find that a brisket flat never gets the same feeling as the point. Last few packers I did, I probably took a little too far waiting for the flat to loosen up. I'm going to pull my next packer around 198 and try it. I've been taking them to 205-208 with pretty good results, although I'd like the flat to be a little moister.

The problem I have is living in a household with varying degrees of preference as far as tenderness is concerned. My wife is in my school of 'clean bite left on the rib', with just enough tug to let you know you bit something. My mother-in-law, who lives with us, likes the ribs turned into a stew practically with the bones running out of my front door in shame. I've come to the realization that I have to set my compass for somewhere in the middle. As far as pull back on the bone, I rarely get that and mostly only when I foil. My ribs get plenty tender prior to that stage. The bend test has been pretty good for me.

Back