i keep hearing about royal oak charcoal and want to try it.

You can get RO lump at Wal-Mart for $5 or $6 per bag. I also really like the RO Briquettes, which I buy at Menards (kind of like Home Depot, but in the midwest) for $4.99 for 19# bags.

Brady,

Our local Walmart carries both RO lump AND the Walmart brand "Backyard Grill", which is private labeled for them by Royal Oak.

Everything everyone else said PLUS....you are going to love it!!! It smells heavenly, and makes the food taste great! Every time I lite it up my neighbor says oh something smells good. I just smile I haven't even put anything on the grill yet! :)

After you try RO treat yourself to a bag of Wicked Good lump. It's way more expensive but really good. I like RO for everyday cooking.

I get RO at Walmart also. Publix has lump that's a close second when I run out and don't want go that far to get RO.

After you try RO treat yourself to a bag of Wicked Good lump. It's way more expensive but really good. I like RO for everyday cooking.
Same with Bob. The pieces aren't broken up into small pieces either. RO is good for everyday cooks, I use it a lot.

It may depend where you buy your RO, but be sure the wrapper says made in USA. Some of their stuff is made abroad and the quality suffers.

is there a way to verify that the wallyworld backyard grill stuff(lump and briq's) is really just rebranded ro?

Bill,

From a much earlier posting, one of the member here was able to see a pallet's worth with the wrap still applied. I believe the only reference to RO is on the shipping label attached to the wrap.

Troy beat me to it.

RO at Wally World is usually seasonal. In our area they quit re-stocking it around November-ish and won't get more until around March. Gotta make room for the Xmas junk I guess. I usually will get 15-20 bags around October. Even had the forklift guy put about a half pallet in the truck one time.

Russ

I've never tried R/O briquettes because I was afraid they were like KB. I like R/O lump. I use mostly lump for everything.

Troy beat me to it.

RO at Wally World is usually seasonal. In our area they quit re-stocking it around November-ish and won't get more until around March. Gotta make room for the Xmas junk I guess. I usually will get 15-20 bags around October. Even had the forklift guy put about a half pallet in the truck one time.

Russ

Same way here Russ although I think they moved the Christmas mess up to Halloween here. :(

Back