i keep hearing about royal oak charcoal and want to try it.

In the small town where I grew up, Royal Oak was about the only charcoal you could buy. Charcoal came in a red bag, and that was it.

I would see commercials for Kingsford and such and wonder where people used it. In the cities, I suspected.

Funny thing is, I have not bought any in my adult years. May have to try it for old times sake.

I use RO lump about 80 percent of the time. I don't care for RO briquettes, but the lump rocks. I get it at our local
Wally World. Lowe's sells Cowboy lump and I am not impressed with that at all. The other 20 percent is either KB, Stubbs
or Coconut briquettes.

How is stubbs? Stores around here are not selling RO lump. My lowes has Stubb's and Home Depot has Cowboy.
You'll like Stubbs. It's reusable and doesn't smoke once lit. I like to use it on short cooks and Wicked Good lump on long cooks with Stubbs to light it off.

Brady,

Our local Walmart carries both RO lump AND the Walmart brand "Backyard Grill", which is private labeled for them by Royal Oak.
Thanks for the tip re:"Backyard Grill", picked up a couple of bags to try. $6.50 per 18# bag

I've been wanting to try RO as well. I picked up 2 8.8lb bags while we were visiting relatives in Colorado last weekend. The local K-mart had it on sale for 4.79 a bag.
I'll post back after trying it out.

Steve

Tried it out tonight on some thick pork chops. Ready to cook over in less than 15 minutes and awesome flavor as well.
I would have to say that I really like the Royal Oak lump.

Steve

Back