I found my Platinum C!

NO, not really. THere were a couple one year grills and even early geneis grills like the 900 that had 5 bars but are not (might not) the same as the Silver and Golds. They are pretty rare though. Just look for silver and gold Genesis grills to find a compatible cook box. There are still tons of them out there.

Well, then I saw something on another thread about the warranty on cast aluminum parts being 25 years. I fudged in a purchase date in the year the grill was built when I registered it, which means I have 11 more years of warranty coverage. I’m guessing that the replacement will be black, but it would have been black from a donor grill, too.

That just got easier.

For whatever reason, it does seem that these late Platinum grills run hot. I know mine did (since sold). Mine had a bulge in the firebox from an apparent grease fire on the bottom - the same side Lee mentioned. I just decided I could live with it. A swap with a better Silver B/C firebox would have been better.

I have noticed that the flames get pretty consistent yellow tips when they get warmed up and I leave them on high. I figured I would tweak the dampers when I replace the fire box and I’m in the process of putting it back together. This is with Qulimetal tubes, if anybody’s curious.

The good news for the day is that I already got acknowledgement from Weber that the box is under warranty, so now I’m waiting for the replacement to get processed. I asked them if the new box would come with the Grease Tray Rails installed, but if anybody here knows whether they’re included or not, feel free to chime in.

I have noticed that the flames get pretty consistent yellow tips when they get warmed up and I leave them on high. I figured I would tweak the dampers when I replace the fire box and I’m in the process of putting it back together. This is with Qulimetal tubes, if anybody’s curious.

The good news for the day is that I already got acknowledgement from Weber that the box is under warranty, so now I’m waiting for the replacement to get processed. I asked them if the new box would come with the Grease Tray Rails installed, but if anybody here knows whether they’re included or not, feel free to chime in.
Weber sent the rails and screws along with my replacement tub. You'll have to install them.

Well, then I saw something on another thread about the warranty on cast aluminum parts being 25 years. I fudged in a purchase date in the year the grill was built when I registered it, which means I have 11 more years of warranty coverage. I’m guessing that the replacement will be black, but it would have been black from a donor grill, too.

For my 2000 Silver B, the warranty (for the original owner only) was 25 years on the porcelain and lifetime on the cast aluminum parts.

I had a modest bulge in my original cookbox that developed after about 15 years. So I now have a brand new cook box from Weber that I still have to install. Hoping I can get that one pesky bolt out without too much trouble.

Jim: Where was the bulge on the cook box? I usually see them on the middle of the let side.

Lee, it is likely the left side bolt that holds the cook box to the frame.

FWIW, you can try this method if all else fails.

Lee, it is likely the left side bolt that holds the cook box to the frame.
I have a couple of ideas on how to overcome that screw being seized up, but being that I've never had to deal with an ugly one, I'm curious to know what works. Thanks for the link.

One warranty replacement fire box later, and I’m rolling. Waiting until after dark to dial in the burner tube dampers, but I think I got it close already. 0748B3B6-9E81-43A8-B021-4BF97E44EEE9.jpeg

You got that pretty fast, nice! Is it gray or black on the outside?
Three days. I was impressed. It’s gray, so that’s another plus. The only real downside is that the manifold screws weren’t firmly attached. It came with the left-side screw (with nylon washer and lock nut), burner hold-down screws with washers, grease tray rails with screws, the manifold hardware, and - I hope you’re sitting down - a complete three-pole igniter kit. I couldn’t believe it when I found that in the box. Since I just bought a new collector and main burner spark plug, and my piezo works fine, I figure I’ll hang on to it. Pretty sweet deal, I’d say.

Ha ha, the manifold bolts aren't supposed to be attached to that cookbox. They just seem to get fused to the cookbox over time and I think everyone assumes that it's supposed to be that way. Anyway, you made out pretty well on that deal for sure.

Back