I Found a Platypus!

Brenda T

TVWBB Pro
I’ve always thought the One-Touch Platinum, aka Platypus, looked pretty cool in pictures - even though I hadn’t actually seen one in person - so
I enjoyed following Jon Tofte's platypus resto thread.

Then last week, one popped up on Market Place and I had to grab it.
It looked kind of rough in the ad, but it’s actually in pretty good shape.

I look forward to fixing it up. It won’t be anything close to Jon’s one-of-a-kind showpiece Platypus, but I think I can improve it. :)
Unfortunately, I’m also in the midst of a couple unfinished projects and the Holidays are bearing down, so it will be a while before I can start.

20220925_181743cp.jpg

“Abandon all hope ye who enter here!”
Brenda, you have been infected with dreaded Weberitis, there is no cure, it’s a recurring malady only treatable through persistent restoring of abandoned, unloved grills. Once you get through the restoration there is the latent illness of the pursuit of more and more delicious things to grill, smoke, spin, roast and enjoy from the tools you will amass.
Weberitis has been known to go into remission from time to time but, there is no cure, merely treatment!😉

Screenshot_20220929-174912_Firefox.jpg
For a second there I thought that was the one I saw listed for $75 in Huntersville, NC. (No, I don't know if it is still available. )

Very Nice! If I came across one & the table & stand were in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate once about swapping out the kettle for a more vibrant color! Don't you have 70th green?

Very Nice! If I came across one & the table & stand were in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate once about swapping out the kettle for a more vibrant color! Don't you have 70th green?
Thanks! Yes I do have the 70th Diner Green - but I'm keeping it original. ;)
I agree that a nice color would look good and will keep an open mind for that. But to begin, I'll just be trying to restore it to original.

1664550102832.png

LOL You're cracking me up, Eric! Didn't you buy ALL FOUR of the 70th edition colors? :cool:

If you want to donate that blue one, I will absolutely use it in this frame. AND will even move it to the top of the projects list! :ROFLMAO:

Congrats Brenda! Maybe we can start a Platypus Club on TVWBB😊.

If you decide you want to stick with the conventional Weber handle, I have a new in the package one that I will sell at a good deal. If you want to do a wood handle, let me know and I will get you a link for the guy who made mine.

71FCB933-6F92-47C9-AB46-E25DC07C53A7.jpeg

Congrats Brenda! Maybe we can start a Platypus Club on TVWBB😊.

If you decide you want to stick with the conventional Weber handle, I have a new in the package one that I will sell at a good deal. If you want to do a wood handle, let me know and I will get you a link for the guy who made mi
Thanks Jon!
That sounds great. I have about 15 of his wood handles, and another "in production" - but I was thinking I'd like to keep this grill original.
I'm definitely interested in the new handle, if you're willing to part with it. I 'll reach out to you later this weekend. 🙂

Back