I can ruin a good brisket with the best of 'em!

Sam Paul

Yeah, I finally got around to trying a smoked brisket in the WSM over the weekend. It came out like shoe leather. LOL I guess it was time to put me in my place after doing all the bragging on my pork butts. I was SO excited to try the brisket, and I think I did everything right, but it was pretty obvious that I screwed up somewhere. I'm wondering if I removed to soon, or didn't let it cook long enough. The end (point) was very dry... almost like jerky. The center sections still had juice, but were kind of tough. It had really good flavor, which was a good thing since it took about 10 minutes to chew each bite.
icon_eek.gif

I cooked the brisket (8lb Flat cut) for about 12 hours at about 240 or so. When the internal temp reached 190', I pulled it off the smoker and let it rest for about 45 minutes. My kids didn't seem to mind the toughness of the meat, but I could sure tell something wasn't right. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but I'll give it another try!

If it's tough and dry then you took it off to soon. Typical mistake when you first start cooking brisket. It took me a long time to get over my subconscious fear of overcooking it before I started putting out reasonably good brisket.

I haven't done brisket yet so take this with a grain or two of kosher salt (still a newb) but most here say to go by feel and not so much by temp.

Having said that, I've also noticed that if the thermo was not inserted correctly (in fat for example and not meat), you'd also get erroneous temp readings. And also, there is that "wall" where the temp tends to stall which may also contribute to time vs temp vs doneness.

Next time, try the thermo in different locations when you think it's almost ready. In addition to the "touch/wiggle/waggle" method recommended by others.

Thanks, Fellas!

One thing I did notice while taking the brisket off the smoker was that it didn't bend at all when I lifted it up with some tongs from the center. It was as stiff as a board.

Sam, I botched 3 flats before I got it right. I put the slices in Tupperware with Apple Juice and it helped the meat a lot. Tasty but not gourmet class. Don't give up.

Sam, time and temp are only guides. The tenderness of the meat is the true indicator of being done.

I had a similar experience after a few successful ones - the culprit? A butcher prepared brisket that my Dad bought - the butcher trimmed most of the fat away - I think this allowed the meat to dry out.

Since then, I did a Sam's Club brisket that I trimmed the fat to about 1/4". Cooked for about 12 hours and was nice and tender.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike May:
I had a similar experience after a few successful ones - the culprit? A butcher prepared brisket that my Dad bought - the butcher trimmed most of the fat away - I think this allowed the meat to dry out.

Since then, I did a Sam's Club brisket that I trimmed the fat to about 1/4". Cooked for about 12 hours and was nice and tender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of the exterior fat just melts away and drips off into the pan it really doesn't soak into the meat, you want nice interior marbling in your meat . That being said I do like a nice layer of fat on my brisket when sliced since that's the best part anyways.

Over cooked brisket turns into dry pot roast, if your meat is dry and tough like "shoe leather" than you didn't cook it long enough.

Hey all... let me try to address everyone's questions and comments as best I can.

Paul, when I went to pic up the brisket it was pretty stiff. My thoughts immediately were that I had over cooked the brisket. I never thought that I needed to leave it on the smoker for a longer period. Just didn't register with me.

Bruce, yes, I did slice the meat against the grain. I had read about doing that in a post on this forum.

Bob & Mike, this particular brisket had a nice layer of fat on top, but not much marbling at all. I will definitely look at the meat a little better. I do agree with all of you, I think my biggest mistake was taking the meat off too soon.

Do any of you use the technique known as the Texas cheat when close to the end of the cook?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sam Paul:
Do any of you use the technique known as the Texas cheat when close to the end of the cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Using foil is the only way for me to cook flats. I cook high heat to about 160 or when the meat has color I like, then I foil. Meat stays in foil until tender.

Sam, follow Dave's advice. Chris has a whole thread on this site dedicated to the high heat method for brisket.Look under recipes for beef under high heat method. Been doing this for years and have yet to have a bad one.

If you over cook it, it falls apart and is dry. You must have under cooked it. As several have said, you will find a time range for whatever you are cooking, but the primary measure is that the meat is tender.

I'm gettin' a bit confused here... Bob Sample said "If it's tough and dry then you took it off to soon", and James Jacobson said "If you over cook it, it falls apart and is dry". Paul H said "Sam, time and temp are only guides. The tenderness of the meat is the true indicator of being done".When is it tender and juicy? What exactly am I looking for?

I'm really wanting to do a brisket, but all of my smokes have been pork butts because of the forgiveness factor, and they have all turned out good! PLUS - I LOVE PORK! But I ALSO love beef, but I'm a bit gun shy of smoking a brisket.

I have no hard and fast rules - I will foil if recommended, I PREFER to go the high heat methods but will go low and slow if necessary, and I'll finish in the oven if I have to. I just want my first brisket to be edible and not a disaster!

I will read and re-read this post to get it right, but moist and tender are what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all of the help here on TVWBB!

Sam, select brisket flats usually lack internal fat/marbling (unlike pork butts)... so the usual way to help with this issue is to cook with a little liquid.

I would try a whole packer (flat and point).... cook at 300-350 until internal temps read are about 150 or so and foil wrap with a some beef broth and maybe add diced garlic and onions if you like and cook until tender another 1-2 hours or so. After the first hour check it every 15-20 mins.

Mikey, It was confusing to me for a few cooks. I was so afraid of overcooking that I undercooked. It's done when your temp probe goes into the meat with very little resistance. It takes practice and some folks get it a lot quicker than me. I foil the meat at about 160 degrees internal.

If anyone cooks a brisket for 12 hours it will turn out dry. Your next high heat one will be great.

Sam, keep at it and before long you will turn out great Brisket!
Internal temp is only a guide, brisket is done when it is tender. I start checking for tender about 185-187 degrees internal temp, by probing the brisket with a meat thermometer. If it goes in easy and smooth then it's tender, if it's tuff and its hard to probe then its not done. If its tuff and hard to prob, then it will be tuff and hard to chew. Tenderness is NOT set at any one temperature. I've had them prob tender at 187 degrees and I've had to take some to 208 degrees before they probed tender. So only use temp as a guide. I have done them low and slow and hot and fast, foil and no foil, regardless of your method, it's done when it's tender. Hope this helps.

Tough and dry= not done.
Falling apart and dry= overdone
Tender and juicy= perfectly cooked

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan F:
If anyone cooks a brisket for 12 hours it will turn out dry. Your next high heat one will be great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan, I've done plenty low and slow, 12+ hours that turn out moist and tender. Dried out is usually under or over cooked(Atleast in my experiences)
When I'm in a hurry I will do them high heat and foil with a little beef stock, once the bark is where I want it, usually around 165-170 degrees. When I got plenty of time on my hands, I like to do them low and slow, usually uncovered the whole way. I'm NO brisket expert but these methods have always worked well for me.

Back