I am restoring this Genesis 5 ....

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
So I just found this grill and know I have seen similar ones on the forums. He says it is a Natural Gas but it has the LP tank scale.
I am I wrong to think $100 would be a good deal if it really is NG?
Thanks
1619289466816.png

Yah, thats a unicorn. Be careful with the glass while transporting it. Glad you are getting it. Before you hook it up, it would be best to find out for sure if it set up for NG or LP. You can convert it pretty easily. The best way is to swap out the whole manifold if conversion is necessary.
Are you looking to run it on NG or LP yourself?

Joe, I believe you have contracted the, common malady oft discussed here “Weberitis” there is NO cure. Treatment is fleeting at best, once you have exhibited the first signs. Signs may be but are not limited to, constantly scouring the yard sale and major trash collection holidays, spending,as,much time as I do on the TVWBB site, filling over 25% of the garage with grills in various states of restoration. Another 20% filled with either fuel source charcoal or, propane tanks.
Not telling your wife that you have found a GREAT DEAL on ANYTHING grill related.
But as a side note, I’d have driven an hour with my brother in law to get that!

So thats a 5 and not a 5000, correct? Using my thing of no frame around the igniter buttons and I guess the flame check for that matter.

Chris, I am not sure, but I think you are right. It is a "5". I don't think the newer "5000" grills came with the porcelain shelf either.

The more I look at this, I think the real magic is that the tiny plastic pieces inside the letters in the wheel have not broken yet.

Joe, I believe you have contracted the, common malady oft discussed here “Weberitis” there is NO cure. Treatment is fleeting at best, once you have exhibited the first signs. Signs may be but are not limited to, constantly scouring the yard sale and major trash collection holidays, spending,as,much time as I do on the TVWBB site, filling over 25% of the garage with grills in various states of restoration.

I think I cured myself of this malady. I haven’t looked for a grill for two months. I do need to work on getting rid of one grill Weber Genesis Gold that I won’t use.

Yah, thats a unicorn. Be careful with the glass while transporting it. Glad you are getting it. Before you hook it up, it would be best to find out for sure if it set up for NG or LP. You can convert it pretty easily. The best way is to swap out the whole manifold if conversion is necessary.
Are you looking to run it on NG or LP yourself?
LP I think it may be LP and just have a quick connect in the LP regulator from a pic that he sent me10.jpg

LP I think it may be LP and just have a quick connect in the LP regulator from a pic that he sent meView attachment 26687
Yep, that is an LP regulator and connector, but it is the old style connector that you needed to hook up with a wrench. I believe they were called POL connectors. They will still hook up to the new tanks by the way.

And with the two swing table slides on each side of the grill, that does spell Genesis 5000 as I don't think they had them back on the 1-5 models.

Last edited:

Back